1.He is afraid …. to Mrs. Priestly. In his place I would rather … her. He may depend on her … the problem properly.
A. of speaking, trusting, understanding B. to speak, trust, understanding
C. of speaking, to trust, understanding D. to speak, to trust to understand
2. Let her … itself. She is considered … a careful researcher and can’t stand … .
A. do, being, to be helped B. to do, to be, to help C. doing, being, helping D. do, to be, being helped
3. On … that she had just come in, he sent a maid to her room … her to go down though he realized that it was no use … to her again.
A. telling, asking, to speak B. being told, to ask, speaking C. having told, to have asked, to have spoken D. being having told, to ask, speaking
4. … her about my problems I was ashamed … such a great mistake and did not mind … the subject but she kept … about my family and me.
A. Having told, at having made, changing, talking B. To have told, to make, to change, to talk
C. Telling, to have made, to have changed, on talking D. On telling, making, having changed, be talking
5. Remember … them tomorrow. They are said … from their voyage. I’d rather … them in a couple of days.
A. phoning, to be returning, meet B. to phone, to have returned, meet
C. to phone, to have been returning, to meet D. phoning, to return, meeting
6. I can’t help … grateful to him for what he has done for me. I’ve got used … care of me.
A. to be, him to take B. be, his to take C. being, to his taking D. having been, him taking
7. He has said that … me if I … easily to do it by myself.
A. would not help, was able B. would not help, would be able C. will no help, am able D. will not help, will be able
8. All the way home he … his tactics; how … the news to her, how … in puzzles until she … him to let her have the whole story
A. had been planning, would he break, would he speak, asked B. was planning, would he break, would he speak, would ask C. had been planning, he would break, he would speak, asked D. was planning, he would break, he would speak, would ask
9. Every year for sixty years, since Ted … three and Caroline one, it ….the Christmas Eve custom of the Carters’ to hang up their children’s stockings and fill them with inexpensive toys.
A. was, was B. was, had been C. had been, was D. had been, had been
10. How … the citizens of Babylon or Ur actually … their bills, however, depended on who … .
A. did, pay, were they B. -, paid, they were C. did, pay, they were D. - , paid, were they
11. They … married for seven years when their first son … .
A. have been, was born B. had been, was born C. had been, had been born D. were, had been born
12. Unless special actions …, the case … .
A. won’t be taken, will be lost B. will be taken, is lost C. are taken, will be lost D. aren’t taken, is lost
13. He … to make enemies as his business … and he … more powerful.
A. began, was developing, was growing B. had begun, is developing, is growing
C. has begun, had developed, had grown D. was beginning, developed, grew
14. You … at the wrong station, that’s why it took you so long to get here. I .. you yesterday to explain everything to you in more detail.
A. may, ought to phone B. must have changed, may phone C. must have changed, may have phoned
D. may have changed, might have phoned
15. I … the work so carelessly. …. I do it again? – Yes, it … by noon.
A. can’t do, Will, must be doing B. can’t have done, Shall, must be done
C. must not have done, May, may have done D. must not do, Will, must have been done
16. We … at seven, but I … come here in time. I think he …till I came.
A had to meet, couldn’t
t have, may wait B were to meet, was not able, should have waited
C were to have met, couldn’t might have waited D had to have met, might not have, should wait
17. Why are you so upset? She …the dates. – She … about our meeting. She fixed the day and time herself.
A. could have mixed up, might not have forgotten B. may have mixed up, couldn’t have forgotten
C. is able to mix up, can’t forget D. must mix up, wasn’t able to forget
18. You … in the conversation. You … silent when they were talking.
A. don’t need to interfere, should keep B. can’t have interfered, may keep
C. needn’t have interfered, should have kept D. don’t have to interfere, could have kept
19.”I wish I … you health and vitality. I … a new life for myself,” she said with a smile.
A. had, would make B. would have, made C. have, will have made, D. was having, would have made
20. Don’t help my son, please. I … rather he … supper himself, He is an excellent cook.
A. would, will cook B. had, cooks C. would, cooked, D. had, had cooked
21. If I …you, I … him. It’s high time you … his advice.
A. were, would contact, would take B. had been, would have contacted, would have taken
C. am, will contact, will take D. were, would contact, took
22. He behaves as if nothing … . But he forgets it is very important that he … a chance of going there.
A. has happened, will take B. had happened, take C. was happened, should take D. happened, takes
2. Tick each correct line. If there is a word which, should not be there, write the word in the space.
When my parents decided that to get a new .1… satellite television, I asked them why they 2… thought this was a good idea. I doubted it 3… whether it was really necessary, and told to them 4 … that I had thought they spent too much time 5 … watching television. They agreed they didn’t 6… go out very much, but were insisted that they 7…. had had thought about the matter very carefully. 8…. ”We enjoy television,” they said me, “and when we 9…. Asked you, you said that you agreed with us.” 10….I replied them that I didn’t remember being asked, 11 … and that I would have tried to stop them. Then 12… they were admitted that they had asked me while I was 13 … watching my favourite programme. I asked them 14 … what was I had been watching, and they said 15 … it was a football match. “You told us that 16 … to keep quiet, so we thought that you agreed!” 17 …. ..
3. Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Элиза легко нашла дорогу к деревне, так как часто бывала там. Она подошла к кровати, где спал ее мальчик. Он спал уже около двух часов, когда эти люди приехали в деревню. 2. Если бы не ваша помощь, я бы не смог закончить работу вовремя. 3. Не беспокойтесь, за вашими вещами присмотрят. 4. Он увлекался чтением приключенческих книг и мечтал стать путешественником. 5. Нам надоело выслушивать твои жалобы. 6. Неужели вы не помните, что я возвратил вам эту книгу. 7. Не может быть, чтобы она была здесь вчера. 8. Мы считаем его большим специалистом в этой области. 9. Первое, что он сделал, когда приехал, это забронировал комнату. 10. Я старался много работать, чтобы не думать о том, что случилось.
Test 8 The Infinitive Variant 1
1. Give all the possible forms of the following infinitives.
1) to discuss -
2) to run -
2. Use the required form of the infinitive in brackets.
1. She smiled broadly and waved her hand. She seemed (to recognize) me. 2. Even if he is out you needn’t
worry. He is sure (to leave) the key under the door- mat. 3 At that time I happened (to work) at my first novel. 4.You won’t be likely (to miss) the train if you start right away. 5. Don’t cry! Everything is bound (to get) right between you. 6. She lost her head and seemed (to forget) the little English she knew.
7. He is believed (to teach) by his father. 8.You needn’t tell me this. (to give) all the details by Mother.
9. She is expected (to operate) on today. 10. Just look at hi hands. He is sure (to work) in the garage.
11. I think he must (to suffer) from injury now. 12. You must (to dream)of it for a long time.
3. Fill in the blanks with the particle “to” where necessary.
1. My pride forbade me – ask any questions. 2. This job will enable him – have a home of his own. 3. This is the place from which I saw Inspector Blake – arrive the other day. 4. I tried – induce him - see a doctor.
5.You can’t make me – say what you want me – say. 6. I had expected him – be disappointed.7. She wouldn’t explain, just urged me – use my own eyes. 8. I understand you – say that you had received no letter from your brother since he left England 9. You had better - go home and – talk it over with your husband. 10. I know I ought not – have come here.
4. Make up sentences with an infinitive construction.
1. He is the only man who can do it batter than I. 2. I could hear it perfectly well. They were discussing me.
3. She was not a girl who would miss an opportunity like that. 4. Don’ shout so! The whole house will know what has happened. Do you want it? 5. It was one of those incredible opportunities where you could get something for nothing or nearly nothing. 6. They will win the game. We are sure of it. 7. He was always speaking about the book he was going to write in the near future. 8. I never smoke indoors. My wife doesn’t like it. 9 She will always find something she can complain about. If it is not one thing it’s another. 10. He is a truthful boy. I know it. 11. There still remained things which had to be said and she was the girl who would say them.
5. Fill in the blanks with suitable verbs. Give several variants where possible.
1. Why don’t you – her to wear high heels? 2. The way she looks at me – me feel quiet nervous. 3. Do you – me to show you the place on the map? 4. No one had – her to return so early. 5. I have never – her look so sweet. 6. Nobody said anything, we just – him put it away in his case. 7. By the way, did she—you to sign
any paper yesterday? 8. What – her go off like that, without saying good bye?
6. Translate the following sentences from Russian into English.
1. Главное – это быть правильно понятым. 2. С ней трудно спорить. 3. Я первой заметила,что они поссорились. 4. Он оставил дверь открытой, чтобы мы могли войти. 5. Машина шла слишком быстро, чтобы я мог рассмотреть лицо водителя. 6. Я оставил письма на столе, чтобы директор подписал их.7. Очень мило, что вы пришли. 8. Вы, кажется, что-то потеряли. 9. Ее нелегко было утешить. 10. С ним опасно ссориться. 11. Оказалось, что ключи потеряны. 12. Они первыми приехали, следовательно, первыми и уедут. 13. У него был небольшой багаж, который следовало упаковать. 14. Она сказала шоферу куда ехать. 15. Спустя некоторое время, он слышал, как входная дверь открылась и закрылась. 16. Мы сомневались, послать ли ему письмо или телеграмму.