ИНСТИТУТ ГУМАНИТАРНОГО ОБРАЗОВАНИЯ
Кафедра иностранных языков
по развитию навыков устной речи
для студентов I курса
Института лесного и лесопаркового хозяйства
Составитель: Н.В. Кавтрова, старший преподаватель кафедры
иностранных языков ФГОУ ВПО «ПГСХА».
Английский язык: методические указания по развитию навыков устной речи для студентов I курса Института лесного и лесопаркового хозяйства. Часть I/ сост. Н.В. Кавтрова; ФГОУ ВПО ПГСХА. – Уссурийск, 2010.- 60с.
Рецензент: Т.И. Скрипникова, кандидат педагогических наук, доцент УГПИ.
Печатается по решению методического совета Приморской государственной сельскохозяйственной академии.
Разговорная тема: Семья. Мой родной город (село) .
Грамматика: Личные и притяжательные местоимения. Глаголы to be, to have (got) . Оборот There is/are. Предлоги места. Род, число и падеж существительных. Общие, разделительные и альтернативные вопросы.
1. Вставьте вместо пропусков местоимения “I”, “you”, “he”, “she”, “it”, “we” or “they”.
1. … is a doctor, and … am a vet.
2. This is our house. … is very nice and comfortable.
3. What is this? … is my cat, … is not very friendly.
4. How are … ? - …’m fine, thanks. And …?
5. Meet tom and Betty, … are my best friends.
6. … am a first year student. … am very happy.
7. My sister is a teacher. … is thirty years old.
8. … are a very happy family.
1. … friend and I work together. … enjoy playing tennis.
2. They are from Canada, and … relatives still live there.
3. I like to spend … weekends with … family.
4. Look! This is … new house. Isn’t it nice?
5. Whose dog is this? – It’s … dog. He also has a cat and hamsters.
6. Ann and … mother are both teachers.
7. Michael is French and … wife is German.
8. … sister and I are American, but … grandparents are Greek.
9. Henry’s mother is a nurse. … name is Lucy.
10. Alice and Bill are doctors. And … son is a medical student.
Example: I see a girl, I see her.
1. I see a teacher, I see … .
2. Please, read this letter, read … .
3. I know the boy, I know … .
4. I’m glad to meet both Tom and Ann, I’m glad to meet … .
5. Give me the book, give … to me.
6. I don’t like Ann’s brother, I don’t like … .
7. This task was given to you and to me, it was given to … .
1. It may be (our, ours) dictionaries.
2. He has not read a line of (your, yours).How can he criticize (your, yours) poems?
3. His composition is much more interesting than (your, yours) or (my, mine).
4. (Their, theirs) knowledge of the subject is not much superior to (our, ours).
5. I’m afraid they will take (her, hers) advice not (your, yours).
6. All (our, ours) clothes were extremely dirty, and (my, mine) especially so.
7. Will you help me to sort out the things? I cannot tell which are (your, yours) and which are (my, mine).
8. This is (your, yours) notebook, but where is (my, mine).
1. I … a first-year student. 2. My friend … an engineer. 3. Jack … a farmer. He … from a small Scottish town. 4.They … our new friends. They … from Wales. 5. My father … a school teacher. Ht … 55 years old. 6. Ann and Nick … at home now.
7. My native town … in the center of England. 8. Monkeys … very funny animals. 9. It … a dog. Its name … Spot. Spot … is very friendly. 10. Mr. Davidson … a University professor. He … a very intelligent man. His hobby … rugby. His students … very happy to have such a good teacher.
^ 1. We … a lot of pets at home. 2. She … a lovely kitten. 3. They … a large family. 4. My friend … a new car. 5. This animal … four legs and a long tail. 5. I … two cousins, aunt and uncle.
7. Используйте глаголы “have” или “be” в нужной форме.
A. 1. They … a baby. It … very nice. 2. She … 30 years old and … a family of her own. 3. What country … you from? 4. The Browns … very big house. It … in the suburbs of Bath. The house … three floors. Cats … domestic animals. 6. They … different kinds of birds on their farm. 7. We … glad to meet you. 8. We … from Russia and we … a lot of friends in other countries. 9. Rob … a very strong boy. His hobby … sport. 10. They … a lot of pets at home and they … fond of them all.
B. My name … Simon. I … fourteen and I live in Wotton, a little village near Woodstock. I … two sisters: one of six months old and the other … seventeen. We also … two dogs, two cats, two rabbits, and a horse. My Dad works on a building site and My Mum … a housewife.
In some parts of the world there … large deserts. There … no trees and no water there. The only animal that can walk through the desert … the camel. The camel … very big. It … one or two lumps on its back, short ears and a long tail. The camel’s food … grass and branches of trees.
Foot, mouse, mink, deer, calf, tooth, child, fish, wife, hoof, goose, ox, sheep, swine.
9. Закончите следующие предложения одним из нижеперечисленных существительных во множественном числе:
Goose, sheep, deer, leaf, shelf, tooth, thief.
1. The baby is getting several new … .
2. I need more … for my book.
3. The police are looking for three … .
4. The Burtons have 50 … and 200 … on their farm.
5. … are eating … off those trees.
a) the floor of the room; the walls of our classroom; the name of the book; the number of the room; the rooms of the hostel; the library of the Institute; a student of the Forestry Institute; the engineer of the plant;
b) my mother's name; my father's work; my brother's wife; his wife’s book; her sister's friends; these students' future profession; our grandmother's garden; your friends' books.
11. Измените предложения, используя там, где возможно, притяжательный падеж с помощью ‘s или (‘) .
1. The book of this author. – The author’s book.
2. I can’t see the bottom of the box.
3. The crew of the ship was small.
4. It’s the fault of no one.
5. Do you like the poetry of Pushkin?
6. That’s the leg of the table.
7. Where is the key of the car?
8. The sound of carriage was heard.
12. a) Перепишите предложения и поставьте выделенные существительные в единственном числе. Произведите необходимые изменения.
1. We are students.
2. The books are on the table.
3. Our relatives are at home now.
4. They are pensioners.
5. You are at the Institute.
6. They have a daughter.
7. They are far from their house.
8. My friends are doctors.
9. Their parents are in the village.
10. We have much work.
b) Вставьте вместо пропусков глаголы am / is/ are / was / were . Обратите внимание на время.
Example: Last year their son was 26, so he is 27 now.
1. Today the weather ____ nice, but yesterday it ____ cold.
2. I ____ cold. Can I have something hot to drink?
3. I ____ hungry last night, so I had something to eat.
4. Where ____ you at 10 o’clock last Sunday morning?
5. Don’t buy these shoes. They ____ too expensive.
6. Why ____ you so tired yesterday?
7. We must go now. It ____ very late.
8. This time last year I ____ in England.
9. We ____ tired when we arrived home, so we went to bed.
10. Anton Chekhov died in 1904. He ____ a famous Russian writer.
11. “Where ____ the dogs?” “I don’t know. They ____ in the garden ten minutes ago.”
c) Напишите следующие предложения в отрицательной и вопросительной формах.
1. She has a brown dog.
2. They are all friends.
3. My mother is a good cook.
4. They have many relatives.
5. Olga has a big family.
6. We have a fridge in the kitchen.
7. The telephone is on the desk.
8. They have two black cat.
d) Вставьте have got, has got, haven’t got or hasn’t got:
Example: 1. They like flowers. They have got a lot of roses in their garden.
2. Jane hasn’t got a car. She goes everywhere by bicycle.
1. Everybody likes Tom. He _____ a lot of friends.
2. Mr and Mrs Eastwood _____ two children, a boy and a girl.
3. An insect _____ six legs.
4. I can’t open the door. I _____ a key.
5. Quick! Hurry! We _____ much time.
6. “What’s wrong? – “I _____ something in my eye.”
7. Ben doesn’t read much. He _____ many books.
8. It’s a nice town. It _____ a very nice shopping centre.
9. Mother is going to the dentist. She _____ toothache.
10. “Where is my newspaper?” – “I don’t know. I _____ it.”
11. Julia wants to go on holiday she _____ any money.
12. I’m not going to work today. I _____ a bad cold.
1. There are many faculties at our Institute.
2. There is a bus stop near our house.
3. There is a nice picture on the wall.
4. There are 12 students in our group.
5. There are 3 students at the lesson.
6. There is a big spots ground behind the school.
^ there is/there are.
Example: This room has two windows. – There are two windows in the room.
The dog is in the room. – There is a dog in the room.
1. The city has many monuments.
2. The children are in the yard.
3. This family has two children.
4. The car is near the house.
5. A week has 7 days.
6. A lot of people are at the stadium.
1. В нашем городе два театра.
2. В вашей группе много студентов?
3. В моей комнате нет письменного стола.
4. Есть ли в библиотеке книги по английскому языку?
5. На столе лежит тетрадь.
6. На улице нет людей.
At (a point/ place):
I met her at the bus stop. She lives at 43 Duke Road. He’s at work (not at home). They’re at a party tonight. He works at a factory.
The book is on the desk. We sat on the floor. The cat is on the chair; on the road; on a farm; on the river bank; on the coast.
In (an area or space):
Malawi is a country in Africa. She lives in Milan. He’s in the kitchen. The key’s in my pocket. Put it in the box. In the zoo; in the cage; in the stable; in Russia; in the backyard; in the sea; in the river; in the sun ; in the air; in the south; in the tree.
A. 1.Tina has several pictures on the walls of her room, but she hasn’t got any in the kitchen.
2. There is a lamp above her bed and a square carpet on the floor near it.
3. There are some books on a chair.
4. There is a clock and a tall plant in a pot on the bed-side table.
5. The family cat is sleeping in the armchair.
B. Majorca is an Island off the coast of Spain. It is east of Valencia, which is a large town in Spain. Palma is on the coast of Majorca. Many tourists come and stay in Palma. Soller is in the north of Majorca.
parents – родители
relative – родственник
close relatives – близкие родственники
distant relatives – дальние родственники
sister – сестра
brother – брат
aunt – тетя
uncle – дядя
cousin – двоюродный брат или сестра
wife – жена
husband – муж
niece – племянница
nephew – племянник
son – сын
daughter – дочь
grandmother – бабушка
grandfather – дедушка
mother-in-law – теща/свекровь
father-in-law – тесть/свекор
stepfather – отчим
stepmother – мачеха
far - далеко
younger - младший
elder - старший
vegetable-garden - огород
to get to the Academy
to attend lectures
to enter the Institute
to graduate from the Institute
to become a doctor
to be born
to be busy
to be fond of English
to be married
to be single
to be of age
to be retired
to consists of
it takes me 5 minutes
as for my friend
to live in a hostel (dormitory)
to rent a flat
to be a promising engineer
to be a first-year student
to have much work
to have a good time
an accountant – бухгалтер
a baby sitter – няня
a bank teller – кассир
a barber - парикмахер
a book-keeper – бухгалтер
a businessman – бизнесмен
a clerk – служащий
a computer programmer – программист
a construction worker – строитель
a cook – повар
a dentist – зубной врач
a doctor – врач
a driver – водитель
an economist – экономист
an electrician – электромонтер, электрик
an engineer – инженер
a farmer – фермер
a gardener – садовод, цветовод
a housewife – домохозяйка
an interpreter – переводчик (устный)
a librarian – библиотекарь
a manager – директор, служащий
a mechanic – механик
a nurse – медсестра
an officer – военнослужащий
a pharmacist - фармацевт
a plumber – водопроводчик
a policeman – милиционер
a salesperson – продавец
a secretary – секретарь
a tailor – портной
a teacher – учитель
a typist – машинистка
a waiter – официант
Example: My mother is a teacher.
uncle a businessman
aunt a housewife
grandfather a student
grandmother a lawyer
cousin a pensioner
brother a cook
friend a schoolgirl
mother a farmer
sister a vet
Example: cat; dog; tree; mouse.
1. Doctor; teacher; sheep; farmer.
2. Brother; mother; father; housewife.
3. Professor; vet; student; teacher.
4. Plant; fish; insect; bird.
5. Village; town; city; backyard.
6. Forest; valley; greenland; yard.
7. Sea; river; mountain; lake.
1. My grandfather has got twenty hens , a horse and three pigs on his farm. He is a … .
2. My uncle loves animals very much. He always help them when they are ill. He is a … .
3. There is a … not from our country house. There are big trees in it. In summer we like to go there.
4. Where are the children? – They are in the … with their teacher.
5. London is the capital of Great Britain. It is very beautiful … .
6. London stands on the … Thames.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Mike. I am 17. I live not far from Ussuriisk. The name of the village is Kamenushka. After finishing school I entered the State Agricultural Academy. Now I am a first-year student of the Forestry Institute. I am engaged in studying Botany and Ecology. But I go in for sports too, I like to play football and tennis. I live in a dormitory with my fellow students. There are some hostels for our students. My hostel is not far from the Academy. It takes me 5 minutes to get to the Academy.
As for my family, it is not too large. We are 5: mother, father, my elder brother, my younger sister and me. My parents live in the village. They have a nice house with a vegetable-garden near it. My parents are fond of working there.
My father is an engineer of forestry. He is a very busy man. He is 48. He has much work to do. As for my mother, she is a doctor at a local clinic. She is 48 too. She is fond of her work.
My elder brother Nick is 5 years older than I am. He graduated from Primorskaya State Academy of Agriculture last year. Now he is an engineer of forestry too. He has a family of his own. He is married to an economist. My brother and his wife have a daughter. My niece is a pretty small girl.
My younger sister is a pupil. Her name is Polina. She is in the 7th form. She would like to become a teacher.
We are all great friends and have good time together. Sometimes we go to the seaside or to the forest or simply watch interesting films on TV together.
We have many relatives: aunts, uncles and cousins. They live in different towns and villages of Primorye. We often visit them and we are glad to meet them at our place.
1. What is your name?
2. Where are you from?
3. What are you?
4. Where do you study?
5. What year are you in? (What year student are you?)
6. Do you live in a hostel?
7. Have you got a family? Is your family large or small?
8. What is your father?
9. What is your mother’s occupation?
10. Is she fond of her profession?
11. Do you have any sisters or brothers?
12. Have you got any relatives?
13. Is your sister married?
14. Who is the youngest in your family?
1. Мне 17.
2. Я первокурсник Института Лесного хозяйства
3. Мне требуется 5 минут, чтобы добраться до института.
4. Мое общежитие недалеко от института.
5. Сколько времени вам требуется, чтобы добраться до дома?
6. Нас в семье 5.
7. Мой отец очень занятой человек.
8. Мой брат старше меня на 5 лет.
9. Жена моего брата – экономист.
10. Моя бабушка на пенсии.
11.Мы вместе хорошо проводим время.
12. У нас есть много времени.
13. У меня есть много друзей.
14. Его сестра хотела бы стать врачом.
Example: Are you a student or a teacher? – I am a student.
1. Is your family large or small? …
2. Have you got a cat or a dog? …
3. Are you from Moscow or from another city?
4. Are you married or single? …
5. Is your father a worker or an engineer? …
6. Is Moscow a city or a town?
7. Is Wales a country or a village? …
Steve is a forester, isn’t he?
They are not farmers, are they?
You have got a new home, haven’t you?
They have no pets, have they.
1. Your friend is American, …?
2. They are happy family, …?
3. You are not American, …?
4. Your family is not large, … ?
5. Your friend is not married, …?
6. Your cousin has a nice house, …?
7. Tom is your cat, …?
8. You have no birds, …?
Your brother/ a policemen? – Is your brother a policemen?
Your sister / a cat? – Has your sister got a cat?
1. His parents / English? 2. They / Russian? 3. John and Polly / doctors? 4. Alison / pretty? 5. You home / big? 6. You / a student? 7. Your family / a large flat? 8. Your friend / a pet? 9. You / a diploma.? 10. You grandparents / a farm?
1.About Mike: Mу name is, to be from, to finish school, to Enter the Institute, to be a first-year student, the Forestry Institute, some hostels, to be far from, it takes me.
2. About his parents: a busy man, to have much work, to be … years old, to be an engineer of forestry, to be fond of something.
3. About his brother and sister: to be ... years older than, to graduate from, to be married, my brother’s wife, to be in the 7th form, to become a teacher.
9. Прочитайте фразы. Выучите их.
1. How are you? - Как ты?
2. I haven’t seen you for ages. - Сто лет тебя не видела.
3. See you then (later). - До встречи.
4. We are all fine. - У нас все прекрасно
5. We are pressed for time. - У нас мало времени.
6. We can have a cat. - Мы бы поболтали.
7. I am keen on football. - Я поклонник футбола.
8. More than likely. - По всей видимости.
9. What are you doing at the weekend? - Что ты делаешь в выходные
10. I have to look after my sister. - Я должна присмотреть малень-
11. I will keep in touch. - Я буду поддерживать связь.
12. I’m in a hurry. - Я спешу.
13. Can you do me a favour? - Не могли бы Вы мне сделать
14. Many kind regards to your sister! - Большой привет твоей сестре!
15. What do you do (for a living)? - Чем вы занимаетесь?
Как зарабатываете на жизнь?
16. What are you? - Кто вы по профессии
17. What is your profession? - Кто вы по профессии?
a) Looking at Photos.
A: Good afternoon, is your wife in?
B: No, Jane isn’t home yet. Won’t you sit down?
A: Thank you. It’s a fine day, isn’t it?
B: Oh, yes, it’s very warm and sunny. While waiting would you like to have a
look at our family album?
A: Sure. Who are these people?
B: They are our parents. This man and woman are Jane’s parents, my mother-in-
law and my father-in-law. And here are my parents.
A: I see. Your mother is very young and beautiful in this picture.
B: And father? He is still a very handsome man, isn’t he?
A: How old is he?
B: He is 67, but he is still very handsome. And this is our son Martin. He is nineteen. He is a student.
A: What a lovely face! Who’s this?
B: This is Jane’s cousin, my sister-in-law. Her mother, Jane’s aunt, is a famous actress, and her uncle is an artist, and a very good one. His son is also an artist.
A: This is a very old photograph… who’s this funny little baby? A boy, isn’t it?
B: Yes, and a very big boy now.
A: Oh! It is not you, is it?
B: It is!
b) Saying Hello.
- Harry, have you met Mr. Grey?
- No, we haven’t met.
- Come along then, I’ll introduce you to him, if you like.
- With pleasure.
- Mr. Grey, I should like to introduce Mr. Smith, a friend of mine.
- How do you do, Mr. Smith? Pleased to meet you.
- How do you do, Mr. Grey? I’m very glad to know you.
First name _____________________
Date of birth ___________________
Place of birth __________________
My Native Village.
I live in the village. Our village is large and quiet modern. The streets in it are clean. I live there with my parents.
All the administrative buildings, a secondary school, a post-office, a canteen, a kinder-garten are in the central square. There you can also find a policlinic and some shops. The club is the main cultural center of the village. This is a modern, two-storied building with a cinema, a library, a sport hall and a dancing hall. The people of the village come here to attend meetings, to see a new film, to dance, to listen to music and to discuss the events of the country life. In front of the club one can see a large park with beautiful trees, bushes and flower beds.
There are four streets in the village. The collective farmers live either in private houses or in large comfortable flats and cottages with all modern conveniences: central heating, hot and cold running water, gas, electricity, telephone. Nearly all houses have a garden and a kitchen garden near them. Many villagers have cars of their own.
Our village is situated near the river, so both children and grown-ups like to spend their free time there swimming, fishing, boating, having fun. The farmers have very little free time as they have much work to do in every season.
The farmers of our farm cultivate crops, mainly different variety of cereals, such as rye, wheat, barley, oats; many kinds of vegetables – potatoes onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, salads – are grown in the fields near our village
Cattle-breeding is another important branch of farming. Cows, pigs, sheep are reared here. There are rich green grass pastures for them. They are used for milk and meat production. We also have a large flocks of fowl: geese, chicken, ducks, turkeys.
The agricultural production is highly mechanized. Tractors, lorries, harvesters, hay-cutters, threshers, hay-loaders work in the fields and gardens, on the farm. The farmers also apply fertilizers to get better yields of crops. Highly-qualified specialists – live-stock breeders, agronomists, agricultural engineers- use modern methods of farming. An important task of modern agriculture is to apply in practice an advanced experience.
My village is a very nice place to live. After graduating from the Academy I am going to come back and work there as my parents. “There’s no place like home” – they say.
both children and grown-ups – как дети так и взрослые
mainly different varieties of cereals – главным образом различные сорта зерновых
large flocks of fowls – большие стаи (стада) домашних птиц
сattle- breeding – скотоводство
apply fertilizer – применять удобрения
1. Pete lives … the country.
2. His village is … Primorski Region.
3. His parents work … the farm.
4. Many villagers live … comfortable houses and cottages … all modern conveniences.
5. The village is situated … the river.
6. There are large green grass pastures … cattle.
1. You live in a town (a village)
2. Your village is rather small.
3. The farmers of your village grow only vegetables and fruits.
4. You love your home place very much.
5. You are going to be a forester.
6. The climate conditions are favorable foe agriculture in your region.
1. What village do you live in?
2. Where is it situated?
3. Is it large or small?
4. Where do villagers live?
5. What farm animals are bred there?
6. Have you got some greenhouses, processing plants or forester farm ?
7. What are your parents?
8. Do you have favorable climatic conditions for agriculture in your region?
9. What are you going to do after graduating from the Academy?
1. Where is Newcastle?
2. Is it big or small?
3. What buildings and industries does it have?
4. What kind of people live there?
5. Is the countryside beautiful near it?
6. What is there near the city?
My Home Town.
I came from Newcastle, a city in the Northeast of England. Newcastle is on the bank of the river Tyne. It is quite big, with a population of about 200,000 people. There is a cathedral and a university. There are five bridges over the river Tyne, which link Newcastle to the next town, Gates Head, where is one of the biggest shopping centers in the world, the Metro center.
A few years ago, the main industries were shipbuilding and coalmining, but now the chemical and soap industries are more important.
I moved from Newcastle ten years ago, but I often return. I miss the people who are so warm and friendly, and I miss the wild, beautiful countryside near the city, where there are so many hills and streams.
People who are born near the River Tyne have a special name. They are called “Geordies”. I am very pleased to be a “Geordie”.
6. Прочитайте следующие рекламные тексты и выберите место, куда бы вы хотели поехать. Объясните свой выбор.
^ is a state of the USA consisting of eight main islands in the Pacific Ocean. Its capital is Honolulu, on the island of Oahu. It is a popular place for Americans to go on holiday. Hawaii is famous for its beautiful beaches and dark volcanoes. It is warm all the year round.
^ and the picturesque town of Baden Baden are in south-western Germany. Your holiday there will be peaceful and relaxing. The town is surrounded by marvelous scenery, clear lakes and tall mountains. There are a lot of interest places to visit including the town’s 15-th century palace and the Romans baths. There are nice streams and all kinds of plants in the Black Forest. The air is always fresh and the local dishes are very tasty.
^ is a wonderful place for nature lovers. The rivers there are endless, the lakes are bottomless and the mountains are very high. The campsite is situated in a vast unpopulated area with the fresh air and unpolluted water.
D. Thailand is an exciting place for holiday, with peaceful green valleys, beautiful mountains and endless sand beaches. The sea water is always warm and the whole atmosphere is really fantastic.
1. There is no place like home.
2. Every country has its customs.
3. East or west - home is best.
4. A good name is better than riches.
5. Never do things by halves.
6. A good beginning makes a good ending.
7. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
8. When a friend asks there is no tomorrow.
Разговорная тема: Our Academy. British Universities.
Грамматика: Артикль. Числительные. Времена группы Simple. Специальные вопросы. Наречия частотности. Возвратные местоимения. Указательные местоимения. Порядок слов в английском предложении. Предлоги места и направления.Special questions.
1. My granny lives in … village. She’s got a cow and two pigs. … cow’s name is Dasha. I help my granny and look after … animals.
2. Who’s … boy standing near … window?
3. My brother is only eight. He goes to … school. He is in … second form. He is … hard-working clever boy and excellent pupil.
4. I don’t think it’s easy to study … foreign languages.
5. Where is … money? It’s on … table.
6. … earth goes round … sun.
7. What … lovely song!
8. At … night I had … terrible headache after I had drunk … lot of coffee in … evening.
9. Have you ever been to … Bolshoi Theatre?
10. Helen plays … piano really well.
1. … Sahara is a great desert in … North Africa extending from … Atlantic Ocean to … Nile.
2. … United Kingdom consists of … Great Britain and … Northern Ireland.
3. … Lake Baikal is the deepest one in the world.
4. Does … Dnieper flow in … Belarus?
5. The highest mountains in the world are … Himalayas.
6. … Cardiff is the capital of … Wales.
7. Are … British Isles large?
13, 15, 11, 100, 30, 100, 3000000, 253, 12, 50, 4001, 25034, 57681000, 6000045, 9000.
4. Прочитайте следующие числительные как даты.
981, 1812, 1939, 1905, 1945, 1900, 1917, 1240, 1165, 1303, 1330, 1999, 2000, 1264, 2002.
31.12; 08.03; 25.12; 14.02; 01.05; 23.02; 09.05; 02.09; 15.03; 11.06; 13.07; 13.12.
6. Скажите, когда мы отмечаем эти праздники.
Christmas Day; May Day; Women’s day; All Full’s Day; New Year; Victory Day.
1. Everybody in our family (to help) Mummy about the house. Dad (to walk) the dog. I (to water) the flowers, and my brothers (to clean) the rooms.
2. I (not to understand) that man because I (not to know) English.
3. Pat’ mother (to teach) students.
4. When it (to be) cold, we (to put on) warm clothes.
5. We (to have) lectures and tutorials every day.
6. Our family (to like) to watch TV in the evening.
1. Terms end with examinations.
2. Classes begin at 8 o'clock.
3. The students learn a lot of subjects.
4. I answer the teacher's questions
5. They check my homework.
6. We translate the sentences from English into Russian.
7. They speak on various topics during the English class.
8. I learn many English words.
9. We read this text.
10. I do my work.
9. a) Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной форме.
1. Most of the students live in a hostel.
2. The course of study lasts 5 years.
3. This exam takes place in June.
4. Classes end at a quarter past three.
5. The program stimulates the students’ interest.
b) Напишите следующие предложения в отрицательной форме.
1. We do a lot of exercises during the English classes.
2. He goes to the Institute on week-days.
3. The teacher gives us English magazines.
4. The students take books from the library.
5. We check our homework.
1. Fishermen often (tell) tales about their catches.
2. My father (like) a lot of milk in his tea and few lumps of sugar.
3. Their children (go) to a private school.
4. My brother (sing) in Italian opera.
5. What you (see) over there?
6. We usually (spend) our holidays in Spain.
7. They often (come) to see me in my town house.
8. Anything that he (say) (be) worth listening to.
9. What this sentence (mean)?
10. My English friends (live) in a nice house that (stand) on a hill that (overlook) lake Windermere which (be) in the Lake District.
a) do b) does c) is d) are e) have (has) d ) can.
1. … you help your mother about the house?
2. When … your mother’s birthday?
3. … he like to spend week-ends in town or in the country?
4. Your parents aren’t farmers, are they?
5. Who … your teacher of English?
6. … you speak a foreign language?
7. Whom … you discuss your problem with?
8. … she any English books at home?
Example: Do you ever study in the library?
I always do (usually, often, sometimes, rarely, never).
1. Do you ever spend your holidays abroad?
2. Does your brother ever play tennis?
3. Do you ever miss your English classes?
4. Do you ever go away on business?
5. Does your mother ever go shopping on Sunday?
6. Does your father ever go fishing?
7. Do you ever listen to the news in the morning?
1. always – France - to – go – we – spring – in.
2. stay – hotel – a – usually – we – in.
3. plane – sometimes – by – go – we.
4. sometimes – train – go – we – by.
5. children – with – never – our – us – come.
6. we – restaurant – go – a – often - evening – Friday – to – on.
1. Music, likes, very, classical, my father, much.
2. Time, he, in, always, come, his, to, does, classes?
3. Week, Ann, her, to, writes, a letter, parents, every.
4. Breakfast, have, you, usually, do , fruit, or, for, vegetables?
5. Didn’t, the meeting, to , Wednesday, the students, come, last.
1. I lived in Moscow.
2. I met him at the station.
3. I enjoyed the party very much.
4. I bought myself a red jacket
Hurt, teach, spend, sell, throw, fall, catch, buy, cost.
Example: I was hungry, so I bought something to eat in the shop.
1) Tom’s father … him how to drive when he was 17.
2) Don … down the stairs this morning and … his leg.
3) We needed some money so we … our car.
4) Ann … a lot of money yesterday. She … a dress which … 50$.
5) Jim … the ball to Sue who … it.
Example: where/ go? Where did you go?
food/ good? Was the food good?
1) how long/ stay there? ……..
2) stay in the hotel? …………
3) go alone? ………………..
4) how/ travel? …………..
5) the weather/ fine? …………
6) what/ do in the evening? …..
7) meet any interesting people? ……
Example: Tom usually gets up at 7. Yesterday he got up at 7.
1. Tom usually wakes up early (yesterday morning). 2. Tom generally has a sandwich and a cup of tea for breakfast (yesterday). 3. Tom usually walks to work (yesterday). 4. He is usually late for work (2 days ago). 5. Tom is always busy at work (yesterday). 6. Very often Tom has lunch in a café (yesterday). 7. He usually goes out in the evening (last night). 8. If the weather is fine on Sunday, Tom goes for a picnic (last Sunday). 9. Tom usually works late (last week).
Example: Why didn’t you phone me on Tuesday? (be away)
I didn’t phone you on Tuesday because I was away.
1. Why wasn’t Jane interested in the book? (not understand it). 2. Why didn’t you rush? (have enough time to reach the station). 3. Why didn’t you eat anything? (not be hungry). 4. Why didn’t Tom go to work yesterday? (not be very well). 5. Why didn’t Jimmy shave this morning? (not have time). 6. Why didn’t they come to the party? (be very busy). 7. Why didn’t your secretary bring the message to Mr. Clay? (not ask her). 8. Why didn’t you visit the Rockefeller Center in New York? (be short of time). 9. Why didn’t you participate in the cycle race when you were on holiday in the mountains? (not see the notice advertising it).
1. The Smiths will go shopping tomorrow.
2. Frank will go to Spain for holiday.
3. The students will write the test next week.
4. Mike will speak Russian very well next year.
5. Jessie will cook a fruitcake on Sunday.
6. We’ll watch TV tonight.
1. In five years I (speak) English well.
2. Next year we (travel) around Europe.
3. I (call) you tomorrow and we (go out) somewhere.
4. In some fifty years people go to the Moon for the weekend.
5. She hopes she (sleep) well tonight.
6. He thinks he (live) in the same city in ten year’s time.
1. If both parents have got blue eyes, their children will probably have blue eyes.
2. If one parent is dark haired and one is fair-haired, their children will not necessary be dark-haired.
3. If a man but not his wife is colour-blind, their son will probably not be colour-blind.
4. If both parents are tall, their children will certainly be tall too.
5. If the destruction of the forest continues, we’ll have a lot of problems with the climate and our health.
6. If we lose the tropical forests, the air will contain much less oxygen and it will become difficult for us to breath.
1. When/If I have time, I’ll … .
2. As soon as we’ve got enough money, we’ll … .
3. If I am free the following weekend, I’ll … .
4. After I graduate from the University, I’ll … .
5. When my mother comes home tonight, she’ll … .
6. Before I have my summer holidays, I’ll … .
myself himself herself
itself yourself ourselves
1. John, be careful! Don’t hurt … with the hammer.
2. Children, help … to sweets and juice.
3. We didn’t know who that man was. He hadn’t introduce … .
4. All my friends enjoyed … at my birthday party.
5. When my sister was making a pudding she burnt … on the oven.
6. It’s convenient to have an automatic cooker. It turns … on and off.
7. My father always repairs his car … .
8. My grandparents grow their vegetables … .
9. We usually paint the house … .
10. Look at the kitten. It’s washing … .
Model A: This is a room. – These are rooms.
1. This is a classroom.
2. This is a desk.
3. This is a bench.
Model B: That is a bag. – Those are bags.
1. That is a pen.
2. That is a pencil.
3. That is a box.
Model C: It is a desk . – They are desks too.
1. It is a page.
2. It is a box.
3. It is a bench.
Model A: These are good matches. This match is good too.
Those are bad matches. That match is bad too.
1. These are good cups.
2. These are bad plates.
3. These are small spoons.
Model B: This car is new. – These cars are new too.
That car is old. – Those cars are old too.
1. This park is old.
2. That tree is tall.
3. This house is tall.
1. Please, come … the room and sit … .
2. We went … the hill to watch the sunrise.
3. He entered the room and put the books … the desk.
4. I often go … the library after classes.
5. She took her mobile phone … … her bag and dialed his number.
6. The teacher told us to take our tests … her table.
7. How can I get the river, there are no bridges … it.
8. When our pets are not quite well, we take them to the veterinary clinic.
At: at 5 o’clock; on Sunday.
In: in the morning; in May; in 1990.
For: for a long time; for three hours (days, weeks etc.).
During: during holidays; during the break.
By: by then; by that time.
From … to: from 4 to 6 o’clock.
Before: before breakfast (work, the classes etc.).
After: after classes; after school.
1. I usually stay at the University … 9 a.m. … 2 or 3 p.m.
2. – What were you doing … this time a week ago?
- Oh, I was lying on the beach, enjoying the sun.
3. Our family usually gets up very early … the morning.
4. Where were you … December? I called you several times but you were not in.
– I was staying at my relatives’ … the whole month.
5. Call on me … 10 o’clock. I’ll be ready … that time.
6. – Where do you usually go after classes?
- I go home to have dinner.
- And … that?
- It depends. Sometimes I stay at home and watch TV, or I may go out with my
^ at”, “in”, ‘to” and “for” в следующих предложениях. Заполните пропуски соответствующими предлогами.
In 1271 Marco Polo left for Persia.
Some time later he arrived in China.
In about 1294 he went back to Persia.
He arrived at Tabrin in 1294 or 1295.
At the end of 1295 he came back to Venice.
Last year I went … about twenty different countries. I came … England for the first time in 1998. We had rather a difficult journey this time. Our plane arrived … Manchester at 2.00 p.m., but our luggage got … Manchester three hours later. The car from the airport broke down, so we arrived … Manchester 7.00 p.m. The next day we left … London, and arrived … Heathrow airport without any problems, luckily.