“Would you like to have it for the next year?”
“Oh, I forget. We never remember such things in time. Must I pay anything right now?”
“No you needn`t. For the present, you can sign this paper. Here you are”.
“Where do I sign?”
“Here, please. Thank you, doctor.
“Well, Mr. White. It`s five o`clock. You`ll have some tea with us, won`t you?”
“Thank you. I`d be glad to”.
“Let`s go to the dining-room. This way, please”.
to knock стучать
What is it? В чем дело?
Show him in. Просите его сюда.
What can I do for you?Чем могу быть вам полезен?
to receive получать
to remember помнить, вспоминать
in time вовремя
right now сразу же , тотчас же
for the present пока, на этот раз
to sign подписывать. Where do I sign? Где мне подписаться?
Here you are . Вот, пожалуйста! There are several equivalents for the Russian word «пожалуйста». 1.Please is used when we ask for smth. or about smth., e.g. Please give me your fountain- pen. Have some more salad, please. 2. Here you are is used in answer to some request. It is said by some giving smth. he has been asked for, e.g. Please give me another cup of coffee. –Here you are. 3. The expression not at all (пожалуйста, не стоит) is an answer to smb`s thanks, e.g. Thank you for helping me. –Not at all. That`s all right.
You`ll have some tea with us, won`t you? Не выпьете ли Вы с нами чаю,
This way, please. Сюда пожалуйста.
Months: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August. September, October, November, December.
The Days of the Week: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
e.g. What`s the date today? –Today is Friday, the seventeenth of March (or March the seventeenth) nineteen eighty-four (Friday, March 17th, 1984).
What day is it? –It is Monday.
Asking for Information
Question Techniques: I wonder if you could help me. I`d like to know (where I could get this book). Could you possibly (tell me about it). I wonder if you could tell me (where he lives). Do you happen to know (when the train is coming).
Answering Techniques: Well, let me see; Well now; Oh, let me think for a moment; I`m not sure, I`ll just have to find out; I`m glad you asked me that; That`s a very good question; I`m terribly sorry, I really don`t know; I`ve no idea, I`m afraid.
Следующие обстоятельства времени употребляется без предлога:
this morning, this afternoon. This evening, tonight;
yesterday morning, yesterday afternoon, yesterday evening, last night;
tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon, tomorrow evening, tomorrow night.
Table No. 2.
Примечание. Суффикс –(е) s глагола в 3-м лице единственного числа произносится: [z] после гласных и звонких согласных –sees [si:z], builds [bilz]: [s] после глухих согласных –wants [wants]; [iz] после шипящих и свистящих согласных –teaches [`ti:tʃiz].
Do you study English? –No, I don`t
Dose he study English? – No, he doesn`t.
Table No. 3.
GENERAL QUESTIONS IN INDIRECT SPEECH
Косвенный вопрос вводится союзом if (whether) или вопросительным словом в виде придаточного предложения с прямым порядком слов:
He asks me, “Where do you live?”
He asks me, where I live.
He asks her, “Do you speak English? ”.
He asks her, if (whether) she speaks English.
Born on Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Ill on Thursday,
Worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday,
That was the end
Of Solomon Grundy.
* * *
Thirty days have September,
April, June and November,
All the rest have thirty-one;
February has twenty-eight alone,
Excepting leap-year, that`s the time
When February`s days are twenty-nine.
I. Answer the following questions:
II. a) Make the following sentences interrogative and negative. b) Ask one another questions on the following statements and answer them in the negative. Keep moving this exercise rapidly.
M o d e l: Mr. White wants to see you.
Does Mr. White want to see me?
No, he doesn`t.
1. Mr. White and Betty enter the room. 2. Mr. White wants to see Doctor Sandford. 3. You can sign this paper. 4. I know some of these names. 5. I can do something. 6. The walls of my room are light-green.
III. Write questions to the words in bold type and let your fellow-student answer them. Observe the distribution of stress in the replies:
1. There are twelve months in a year. 2. There are thirty days in June. 3. She is twelve. 4. My brother`s friend can skate well. 5. He is a doctor. 6. We call it a bedroom. 7. I like to read English books. 8. It is the first of October. 9. It is Thursday. 10. On the right I can see a bookcase.
IV. a) Form all possible questions to which the following sentences are the answers:
1. There are some newspapers on the desk. 2. We have tea at five o`clock. 3. I have two English lessons on Monday. 4. My parents live in Moscow. 5. My father is a doctor. 6. My father works at a hospital. 7. He is forty-five. 8. All the members of my family read this paper. 9. I can come and see you on Friday. 10. You may sign this paper tomorrow.
b) Each sentence states a certain fact. Fine some more details about it by asking questions. Work in pairs.
V. Write in words and read:
9 / IV 1946; 8/VII 1924; I/IX 1827; 12/X 1955; 4/I 1949; 11/II 1918.
VI. Fill in somebody (someone), anybody (anybody), nobody (no one) everybody (everyone), something, anything, nothing, everything:
1. Is there … on the desk? 2. the door is open. There must be … at home. 3. There is … wrong with my fountain-pen. It wont write. 4. A blind man cannot see … . 5. Is there … in the room? –Yes, there is … in it. 6. It is too dark, I cannot see … . 7. If there is … in the room you may turn off the light. 8. Can … recite the poem? 9. We must do … to help her. 10. Can I do … for you? 11. There must be … interesting in the book you read. 12. It is too dark, I can`t see … on the blacboard. May I turn on the light? 13. We can work in Room No. 20. There is … there. 14. Let`s go there at once. I want to see … with my own eyes. 15. May I come to see you tonight? I`ve got … to tell you. 16. Bob is one of our best students, … knows him. 17. Must we learn … by heart? –No, you needn`t. You must only prepare the poem for test reading. 18. There is … interesting in this magazine. 19. Is … away form the lesson?
VII. Fill in prepositions if necessary:
1. He must go to St. Petersburg … spring. 2. We take our written exams … January. 3. Our studies begin … autumn. 4. What do you do … Sunday? 5. All the students of our group will take part in the concert … the eighth … May. 6. May I ring you up … the morning? 7. My elder brother is a doctor. He often comes … home late … night. 8. Is there anybody … the Dean`s office? 9. I must go and see him … three o`clock … Friday. 10. Listen … the new text … the laboratory. 11. Look … the blackboard. Do you see any mistakes … it? 12. Who is … duty today? 13. Will you go … the blackboard? 14. You may go … your place. 15. … the right … the dining-table there is a cupboard.
VIII. Fill in the definite or indefinite article if necessary.
1. There are three rooms and … kitchen in her new flat. 2. My new dress is made of … silk. 3. If you want to write some-thing on … blackboard, you must have … piece of … chalk. 4. Are there any students in …. Room No. 12? 5. I have … new English book … book is very interesting. 6. there is … garden and … lawn in front of her Institute … garden is not large, but it is very beautiful. 7. The students of your group must be in … Room No. 30. 8. Open … book at page 29 an start reading. 9. May is … fifth month of the year. 10. Saturday is … seventh day of the week. 11. Sunday is … day off.
IX. Think of stimulating phrases to which those below could be the replies. Work in pairs:
1. Here you are. 2. Show her in, please. 3. Thank you, I`d be glad to. 4. Do they? 5. Are you? 6. Do, please. 7.Certainly. 8. Here, please.
X. Think of replies to the following questions and statements. Work in pairs:
1. Yes, Helen. What is it? 2. Good afternoon, Helen! 3. What can I do for you?. 4. Sign this paper, please. 5. Let me see this book. 6. Have tea with us. 7. Thank you. 8. May I ring you up tonight?
XI. a) Respond to the following sentences as in the model below. Express surprise or doubt in your replies and add something to develop a situation.
M o d e l : I don`t like autumn. ,Don`t you?
b) Continue the exercise suggesting your own verbal context:
1. I am very busy. 2. Tom is already ten. 3. You are late. 4. You have no mistakes in pronunciation. 5. I can`t speak French well. 6. We must stay at home. 7. You may go home. 8. I live in a comfortable flat now. 9. My sister wants to study German. 10. They don`t make many mistakes in spelling. 11. We have got built-in furniture in the kitchen. 12. My girl-friend has got flu, I am afraid.
XII. Use the following questions in indirect speech according to the given model. Make all the necessary changes.
M o d e l: The teacher asks: “Do you know any English words?”
The teacher asks if we know any English words.
1. Tom asks: “Do you know English well?” 2. She asks: “Do you like to skate?” 3. My friends ask: “Are you free on Sunday?” 4. The student asks: “Have you any English books at home?” 5. She asks: “Do you want to read this book?” 6. The teacher asks: “Are there any mistakes in spelling on the blackboard?” 7. The student asks: “Are there any mistakes in my pronunciation?” 8. The teacher asks me: “Do you know any poem by heart?” 9. Mary asks me: “Do you know many English words?” 10. Betty asks Tom: “Must you go to the Institute today?” 11. The teacher ask the boy: “Is May a spring month?” 12. The students ask me: “Do you like our University?” 13. Mr. White asks Betty: “Is Doctor Sandford in?” 14. The children ask Betty: “Do you play the piano?” 15. The teacher asks the boy: “Have you any brothers or sisters?” 16. The teacher asks the girls: “Can you spell the word “white”?” 17. The boy asks his sister: “Do you see anything on the table?”.
XIII. Make up short dialogues according to the given model. Use the following questions.
M o d e l: A: Do you know Helen?
B: What do you ask me?
A: I ask you if you know Helen.
C: What does A. ask you?
B: A. asks me if I know Helen.
1. Are you busy? 2. Are the lessons over? 3. Is he already twenty? 4. are there any new words in Lesson Four? 5. Do you know the pronunciation of all the new words? 6. Is this translation difficult? 7. Do the students of your group work much at their English? 8. Who is the monitor of your group? 9. Can you swim? 10. Must we finish this work today? 11. Are you fond of animals?
XIV. Translate the following into English:
1. Пока я ничего не могу сделать. 2. Никто ничего не хочет есть. 3. Могу ли я для вас что-либо сделать? 4. Можно прийти к вам в воскресенье? 5. Четверг –пятый день недели. 6. Моей младшей сестре сейчас десять лет. 7. Я пока не умею говорить по-английски. - Неужели? 8. Добрый день, мистер Уайт. В чем дело? –Могу ли я поговорить с вами, мистер Сэндфорд? –Да, пожалуйста. 9. Что значит это слово? 10. Должна ли я что-либо подписать? – Вот, пожалуйста. –Где мне подписать? –Вот здесь. 11. Многие из наших студентов работают осенью на фермах. 12. вы умеете играть на рояле? 13. Можете ли вы дать мне что-нибудь почитать? 14. Кто работает в комнате 4? 15. Откройте страницу 5 и прочитайте текст. 16. На девятой странице нет никакой картинки. 17. В комнате ваших родителей есть кто-нибудь? 18. Мой сын знает наизусть много английских стихов. – Неужели? 19. Ее дочь уже школьница. – Неужели? 20. Я могу дать вам эту книгу. – Неужели? 21. Аня должна приехать в понедельник. – Неужели? 22. Наши занятия кончаются в июне. 23. Никто в нашей семье не работает в субботу.
XV. a) Describe Mr. White`s visit. Concentrate on the reported speech. b) Imagine you come to see your fellow-student to discuss certain items (points) of your homework. Make up a dialogue. c) Suggest a situation for your fellow-students to give it in the form of a dialogue.
XVI. Build short conversations. Use the vocabulary of this lesson and conversational phrases.