Упражнение 1. Прочитайте текст и скажите, какая основная проблема обсуждается руководством компании, какие вопросы рассмотрят старшие менеджеры в ходе заседания.
A highly specialized car component manufacturer has a technical success on its hands but lacks the means or size to exploit it. The company has to devise the best strategy to bring a top-of-the-market, special product to a wider volume market. The problem is complicated by a mass market competitor which suddenly announces its own version of the product and threatens to take over the market completely. If Autotech decides to expand it will have to plan a financial strategy for expansion. To get a loan from a bank means to give the bank a picture of the company's recent performance and overall financial health.
Autotech's directors have to solve a complicated problem or, to be more exact, a number of problems: to identify and discuss the arguments for and against remaining a producer of expensive, special products in a market which seems to be moving towards volume production, to identify the implications of major expansion for their company, to analyze various methods of achieving rapid expansion of production and marketing activities, to devise the best strategy for a small company to maintain its hi-tech market leader position in the face of a major competitive attack in a rapidly expanding market.
The agenda which arrived on the desks of Autotech’s senior managers was short and to the point. At the meeting sketched out before them they had to decide a completely new direction for Autotech.
1. The potential market for Automap MK 2.
2. Outlet options:
– Standard equipment via car manufacturers.
– Optional extra via manufacturers.
– Accessories via parts dealers.
– Direct to fleet users.
3. Production options:
– Own production.
– License production via other producers.
– Joint venture with car manufacturer.
– Sub-contracted production either in UK or abroad.
4. Present weaknesses and strengths of Autotech.
5. Potential partners on marketing side.
6. The question of expansion.
7. Other business.
The meeting should decide a plan of action to ensure the best future for everyone at Autotech.
Упражнение 2. Ответьте на следующие вопросы.
1. What does Autotech produce?
2. What is the reason of Autotech’s expansion?
3. What will the company have to do if it decides to expand?
4. What complicated problems are Autotech’s directors going to solve?
5. What is the main aim of senior managers’ meeting?
Упражнение 3. Задайте все типы вопросов к предложению.
Ten days later John Lyle and his financial director at Autotech arrived at Hunter-Benson's plush London offices to present the Automap MK 2 and to answer questions about their present financial situation and their future needs.
Упражнение 4. Постройте предложения в пассивном залоге.
Например: to plan the flows of cash The flows of cash are planned.
1) to reinvest all the money into business;
2) to obtain funds from outside the firm;
3) to manage carefully the company’s assets;
4) to attain the long-term goals;
5) to prepare a budget for a year.
Упражнение 5. Ролевая игра: Представьте себе, что вы являетесь руководителем компании. Ответьте на вопросы, от которых зависят пути развития вашей компании. Обсудите в группе возникшие разногласия.
1. Should Autotech go alone with expansion into the high volume market, i.e. raise funds from outside sources in order to expand the business by a factor of 5 or 6?
2. Should Autotech reject expansion and consolidate its activities around the present low volume-high value approach with an emphasis on staying ahead technologically?
3. Should Autotech sell the licence for the new product to other manufacturers and receive income from royalties?
4. Should Autotech enter into a joint venture either with another component producer or with one of the car manufacturers?
5. Could the company approach the fleet users direct and persuade them to adopt the Automap MK 2 by demonstrating its cost-saving potential?
Упражнение 1. Прочитайте опорные словосочетания и подберите к ним соответст-вующий перевод.
Упражнение 2. Убедитесь, знаете ли вы 3 формы глаголов:
to mean, to pay, to change, to keep, to know, to get, to take, to become, to learn.
Упражнение 3. Прочитайте и переведите текст.
What does it mean «managing the future»? It means paying attention to the past, to the present, and to past and current patterns of change in the world around you. In managing the future, understanding and initiating action are top priorities. Constant innovation and improvement are valuable action steps. Relying solely on the past is neither possible nor good business. Using a past orientation results in missing opportunities and not keeping up with changes in today's emphasis on the customer. The past-oriented manager wants to attract and retain customers, but focuses on other parts of the business: the accounting system, tax laws, the source and flow of available raw materials.
Оne future-oriented company that respects and has learned from the past and appreciates its founder is McDonald's. This fast-food firm knows that the past can't be repeated. This firm is in constant search of innovations to remain competitive, to build on its past reputation, and to improve its position in holding off more and more competitors. McDonald's innovations include the Big Mac, the Egg McMuffin, etc.
McDonald's keeps innovating and improving and learns from the past because it can't afford to be lazy and nonresponsive. The competition is too fierce and opportunistic. The firm responds to its changing external and internal environment with new products, environmentally friendly waste products, improved service and better ways of doing business.
Whether McDonald's Corporation founder Ray Kroc ever studied or considered the historical roots of management isn't known. However, by reviewing Kroc's style and strategies, we get the impression that he used the past as a way of learning how to manage his and McDonald's future.
Kroc was an innovator who favored taking action to stay ahead of the competition. The firm's history clearly shows that his insistence on quality has become a part of McDonald's internal cultural fabric.
Упражнение 4. Найдите в тексте формы, оканчивающиеся на «-ing», определите их функцию в предложении, переведите их.
Упражнение 5. Ответьте на вопросы.
Упражнение 6. Найдите в тексте информацию о стиле управления, обращенном в прошлое.