I. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на вопросы.
A passenger was travelling in a train. Suddenly he wanted his handkerchief and couldn't find it in his pocket. He accused the fellow passenger, who was in the same compartment, of stealing it. He continued to look for it and at last found it in his back pocket. He began to apologize to the fellow passenger for accusing him. "I am awfully sorry, I was mistaken," he said. But the passenger said calmly, "It's all right. We were both mistaken. You thought I was a thief, and I thought you were a gentleman."
1. Why did the man accuse his fellow passenger of stealing his handkerchief?
2. Who put the handkerchief into the passenger's back pocket?
Suddenly he wanted his handkerchief.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
An Englishman who (1 — be) in France on a short visit (2 — want) to go back to England. He (3 — spend) all his money and (4 — have) only enough to pay for his ticket. As he (5 — know) that the trip (6 — take) only two days he (7 — decide) that he (8 — can) to live without (9 — eat) those two days. So he (10 — buy) a ticket and (11 — get) on the ship. When dinner time (12 — come), he (13 — be) very hungry, but he (14— say) he (15 — be) not. In the evening he (16 — be) even more hungry, but when the waiter (17 — come) and (18 — ask) why he not (19 — want) to have supper, he (20 — say) he (21 — be) seasick and (22 — go) to sleep hungry. The next morning the Englishman (23 — feel) half-dead with hunger. He (24 — decide) he (25 — eat) even if they (26 — throw) him into the sea. So when dinner time (27 — come) he (28 — go) to the dinning room and (29 — eat) everything that (30 — put) before him on the table. When dinner (31 — be) over he quickly (32— get) up and (33 — go) to his cabin.
In the evening when the ship (34 — near) London he (35 — eat) his supper and (36 — ask) the waiter to bring him the bill for the dinner and the supper he (37 — eat). But the waiter (38 — tell) him that the meals (39 — pay) for together with the ticket. The Englishman (40 — disappoint).
1. This is a picture of ... town where I was born.
a)— , b) a, c) an, d) the.
2. I read the story from ... beginning to ... end.
a) —, b) a, c) an, d) the.
3. The Smiths are ... on holidays.
a) in, b) out, c) away, d) over.
4. I wonder where ... now.
a) is he, b) he is, c) was he, d) he was.
5. I'm afraid we can do ... to help him.
a) something, b) anything, c) nothing, d) everything.
6. Jane isn't ... enough to go out to parties. a) tall, b) beautiful, c) clever, d) old.
7. We'll do our ... to win the contest.
a) good, b) better, c) best, d) well.
8. It's cold here. Can we look for ... room?
a) other, b) others, c) the other, d) some other.
9. I remember ... her the book.
a) give, b) to give, c) giving, d) being.
10. We used ... next-door neighbours.
a) to be, b) being, c) having been, d) to have been.
11. When ... that unexpected questions I didn't know what to answer.
a) asking, b) asked, c) was asked, d) being asked.
12. We know Robert ... school last year.
a) to finish, b) to be finishing, c) to be finished, d) to have finished.
13. I can't hear anything. Will you stop ... ?
a) talking, b) talk, c) to talk, d) having talked.
14. How long you ... speak English?
a) can, b) could, c) have been able to, d) did you have to.
15. When you phoned me I ... a newspaper.
a) read, b) am reading, c) have read, d) was reading.
16. There was nothing interesting, ... ?
a) wasn't it, b) was it, c) wasn't there, d) was there.
17. This fish ... look fresh to me.
a) isn't it, b) doesn't, c) aren't, d) don't.
18. Please, find out if the timetable ... .
a) change, b) is changing, c) changed, d) has changed.
19. We thought you ... later.
a) come, b) came, c) have come, d) would come.
20. I want you to do as you ... .
a) tell, b) are telling, c) are told, d) were telling.
1. Вы опоздали на несколько минут. Директор только что ушел.
2. Она сказала, что, если мы придем раньше, можем послушать музыку.
3. Этих денег не хватит, чтобы купить словарь.
4. Мы дружим с детства.
5. Когда-то мы ходили в кино раз в неделю.
1. The US consists of ... states.
a) 38, b) 49, c) 50, d) 51.
2.High school is ... .
a) a college, b) a university, c) a very good school, d) upper grades of secondary school.
3. The English colonization of the American continent began in the ...,.
a) 15th century, b) 16th century, c) 17th century, d) 18th century.
4. Bill Clinton is the ... President of the US. a) 40th, b) 41st, c) 42nd, d) 43d.
5. "Alice in Wonderland" was written by ... .
a) Jane Austen, b) Muriel Spark, c) Lewis Carroll, d) Iris Murdock.
The father of a famous English actress didn't allow her to marry an astor. Nevertheless, one day he was told that his daughter had secretly married one of the actors of his company. The father got angry and decided to punish them both. "Why did you marry an actor when I told you not to do it," he shouted at her, "and besides he is the worst actor in my company who can hardly be called an actor!" — "So dear father, I have obeyed your orders," said the young actress. I have married someone whom you can't call an actor."
1. What did the young actress do against her father's will?
2. What was the father's mistake?
The father of a famous English actress didn't allow her to marry an actor.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
Rob Jonkins almost (1 — have) a nervous breakdown and his doctor (2 — advise) him to go to a quiet and peaceful place.
Rob (3 — decide) (4 — go) to Cornwall the next weekend. Penquay (5 — be) a very small fishing village. There (6 — be) no trains his room. Rob (12 — be) very tired and (13 — go) straight to bed. He (14 — sleep) well and not (15 — wake) up until nine o'clock the next morning.
Rob (16 — go) downstairs for breakfast. Because there (17 — be) no other guests Mrs Doone (18 — invite) him to have breakfast with her and her daughter, Catherine, who already (19— come) to the dining room. She (20 — be) about thirteen years old. Mrs Doone (21 — go) to the kitchen (22 — prepare) breakfast. Rob and Catherine (23 — look) at each. other nervously for a few seconds, before Rob asked why there (24 — be) four places at the table. Catherine (25 — say) it (26 — be) her father's place, who (27— go) out in his boat three years before and never (28 — return). Nobody (29 — know) what (30 — happen) to him. But mother always (31 — keep) that place for him, because she (32 — hope) he (33 — come) back. "My mother (34 — wait) for him for three years," said Catherine.
Rob (35 — see) a photograph on the wall and (36 — stare) at the empty chair. Suddenly he (37 — hear) footsteps outside the door and (38 — see) a tall man, with black beard he (39 — see) in the photograph, enter the room. Rob (40 — rush) out of the room.
1. ... Petrovs have moved into a new flat.
a) – , b) A, c) An, d) The.
2. ... time I meet her she is walking with a dog.
a) Some, b) Any, c) Every, d) All.
3. He ... gets up very early, he isn't an early riser.
a) always, b) often, c) normally, d) never.
4. ... a swimming pool in their garden.
a) It is, b) There is, c) It has been, d) There were.
5. The clock ... stopped.
a) has, b) is, c) was, d) were.
6. When did you see each other ... ?
a) last time, b) last, c) at last, d) latest.
7. The episode isn't worth ... .
a) mention, b) mentioning, c) to mention, d) to be mentioned.
8. She was busy all days of the week ... Saturday.
a) except, b) besides, c) but for, d) in addition to.
9. Was anybody ... present during the conversation?
a) other, b) more, c) else, d) still.
10. This book can be found in ... library, you'll have no problem.
a) some, b) any, c) no, d) none.
11. The ... you talk about it the better.
a) much, b) many, c) little, d) less.
12. ... nervous he couldn't understand the question.
a) Being, b) Having been, c) Was, d) Been.
13. We expect them ... in a few days.
a) returning, b) return, c) to return, d) to have returned.
14. She wants to have her hair ... .
a) cutting, b) cut, c) to cut, d) to have cut.
15. What would he do if he ... me? a) is, b) was, c) were, d) will be.
16. She ... stay away from school because she was ill. a) can, b) may, c) was able to, d) was allowed to.
17. It ... ever since morning today.
a) rains, b) is raining, c) has been raining, d) was raining.
18. We knew if we ... a taxi, we would come on time.
a) take, b) took, c) have taken, d) had taken.
19. Schoolchildren ... to know Russian literature.
a) suppose, b) supposed, c) are supposed, d) have supposed.
20. Where are the foreign tourists? — They ... on a sightseeing tour.
a) are taking, b) are taken, c) have taken, d) have been taken.
1. В Африке никогда не идет снег.
2. Вам скажут, когда вы должны прийти.
3. Я ждала вас у входа в театр.
4. Можете не приходить завтра.
5. Учитель сказал, что мы обсудим пьесу на следующем за-яятии.
1. England consists of ... .
a) districts, b) counties, c) states, d) regions.
2. Smog is ... .
a) a man's suit, b) a heavy rain, c) a thick fog, d) a man's hat.
3. Porridge is made of... .
a) wheat, b) barley, c) rye, d) oats.
4. Who wrote "Winnie-the-Pooh"?
a) A. Milne, b) E. Lear, c) L. Carroll, d) J. Barrie.
5. A limerick is ....
a) a dish, b) a. rhyme, c) a bird, d) a game.