I. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на вопросы.
An American was travelling in Switzerland. Once he was taken by a local man to the hills. The man shouted, "Hello!" and after about five minutes the echo came back. "You can't have that in America, can you?" said the Swiss. "Yes, we can," replied the American. "At my house in the hills, every night before I go to bed, I put my head out of the door and shout, 'It's time to get up.' Nine hours later the echo wakes me up."
1. How long did it take the echo in Switzerland to come back?
2. Did the American tell the truth?
Once he was taken by a local man to the hills.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
There (1 — be) many ways of (2 — get) to know people and their country. One way (3 — be) to get a job there.
My friend and I (4 — think) it (5 — look) just what we (6 — dream) of for the summer holiday in England. We (7 — can) improve our English, and it not (8 — cost) us anything, and we probably (9 — make) enough money (10— have) a week or two in London at the end.
In June we (11 — set) off for Sonnybrook Fruit Farm in East Anglia. We (12 — find) the farm building, but there (13 — be) no one about. We (14 — knock) on the door of the farmhouse, it (15— open) by a woman. We (16 — explain) to her what we (17 — come) for. Then we (18 — take) to a low white building which (19 — be) our accommodation. We (20 — be) to pay 20 pounds per week for this and food. There (21 — be) other students too, from different countries. They (22 — tell) us a lot of things. They (23 — say) there (24 — be) not enough work for everyone, and you (25 — have) to be up early if you (26 — want) to work.
The next day we (27 — come) to the farmyard by 7. That day we (28 — be) lucky. We (29 — send) to pick strawberries. Some of the others who (30 — pick) strawberries before (31 — tell) us what to do. We (32 — start) working. After I (33 — work) for five minutes I (34 – get) a backache, but I (35 – keep) on (36 – work). We (37 – work) hard till twelve when we (38 — have) an hour off for lunch. By that time I (39 — pick) thirteen boxes and my friend (40 — do) fourteen.
1. I must ... this work today.
a) make, b) do, c) be making, d) be doing.
2. How ... times did you call me?
a) much, b) many, c) little, d) few.
3. It's quiet today, ... no wind.
a) it is, b) there is, c) it was, d) there was.
4. This test is ... difficult for me to do.
a) too, b) enough, c) even, d) still.
5. Shall I give you ... more tea?
a) some, b) any, c) no, d) much.
6. He was ... injured in the accident.
a) bad, b) badly, c) very, d) strongly.
7.What did he ... ?
a) speak, b) talk, c) say, d) tell.
8. Do you remember when you went to the theatre ... ?
a) last, b) last time, c) at last, d) for the last time.
9. Mary doesn't leam Spanish, ... ?
a) does it, b) doesn't it, c) doesn't she, d) does she.
10. Can you tell me what time ... ?
a) is it, b) it is, c) is there, d) there is.
11. The more you do now, the ... will be left for tomorrow.
a) more, b)-much, c) less, d) little.
12. Why ... I ask anybody for help, I can do it myself.
a) can, b) could, c) have, d) should.
13. By the end of the next week they ... all the exams.
a) have passed, b) had passed, c) will have passed, d) will pass.
14. Everybody ... the film is interesting.
a) say, b) says, c) said, d) have said.
15. We were sorry we ... the bus.
a) miss, b) missed, c) have missed, d) had missed.
16. We have not decided yet when we ... into the new flat.
a) move, b) moved, c) shall move, d) would move.
17. Ted suggested ... the party at his place.
a) holding, b) to hold, c) having held, d) being held.
18. There are heavy clouds in the sky, it ... to rain soon.
a) is unlikely, b) is sure, c) is possible, d) seems.
19. All the books ... .
a) have sold, b) sold, c) have been sold, d) had been.
20. I'd like him ... a success.
a) to be, b) to have been, c) being, d) will be.
1. — Что ты читаешь? — Я читаю интересную статью в сегодняшней газете.
2. В нашей школе французкий не преподают.
3. Я тебе звонил сегодня несколько раз.
4. В какой институт ты собираешься поступать?
5. Когда я была маленькой, я думала, что хлеб растет на деревьях.
1. The Quakers are ... .
a) a religious movement, b) a pop group, c) the title of a book, d) the title of a film.
2. What great historical event happened in 1066?
a) the Roman invasion, b) a bourgeois revolution, c) the battle of Hastings, d) the Danish invasion.
3. The printing press was invented by ... .
a) Oliver Cromwell, b) William Caxton, e) William the Conqueror, d) Alexander Bell.
4. Secondary education in Britain is ... .
a) compulsive, b) compulsory, c) optional, d) voluntary.
5. The size of the house in Britain is determined by the number of....
a) sitting rooms, b) kitchens, c) bedrooms, d) floors.
Two men were boasting to each other about how rich their families were. One said, "My father's farm is so big that when my mother goes off to milk the cows on Monday morning she gets back only on Saturday evening." — "Really?" said the other. "Well, I think that's a pretty big farm but it would look like a small garden if compared with my father's farm." — "How big is your father's farm?" asked the first man. "Well, when my father sends a young married couple to milk the cows their grandchildren bring the milk back home."
1. How long does it take the first man's mother to get the milk home?
2. Which of the two men was more boastful?
Two men were boasting to each other about how rich their families were.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
It (1 — be) a hot day. When Marian and her father (2 — enter) the woods, it (3 — begin) to rain. But they not (4 — mind) that, because it (5 — feel) nice and cool. They (6 — run) down into the valley. At the bottom of the valley (7 — be) a small river and a bridge over it. This place (8 — call) "Robin Leap." They (9 — stop) for a while to admire the view.
Marian (10— ask) her father why it (11 — call) "Robin Leap." Her father (12— say): "They (13 — say) Prince John on horseback (14 — come) after Robin Hood who (15 — be) on foot. When they (16 — come) to this place R. Hood (17 — think) he (18 — catch) because there (19 — be) no bridge in those days. But to the Prince's surprise Robin Hood (20— jump) over the river and (21 — get) away."
Marian (22 — wonder) if her father (23 — believe) it (24 — be) true. Her father (25 —say) he (26 — be) not quite sure.
They (27 — run) deeper into the woods. Suddenly they (28 — begin) to hear thunder and (29 — see) lightning in the sky. It (30 — pour) down now, but Marian's father (31 — say) it (32 — stop) in a minute.
Suddenly there (33 — be) a tremendous flash. Marian (34 — throw) into some bushes. She (35 — realize) she (36 — strike) by lightning. Slowly she (37 — sit) up, her legs (38 — bleed), but she not (39 – hurt) badly. Then she (40 – see) her father. He (41 – fall) under a tree and couldn't move.
1. ... birthday party was very interesting.
a) – , b) A, c) An, d) The.
2. I understood how ... I knew about it and felt ashamed.
a) much, b) little, c) many, d) few.
3. We are going to the theatre ... Saturday.
a) on, b) in, c) at, d) after.
4. I believe her ... it.
a) know, b) knowing, c) to know, d) known.
5. Nobody likes ... at.
a) to laugh, b) laughing, c) to be laughed, d) laughed.
6. The children enjoyed ... in the garden.
a) play, b) playing, c) to play, d) played.
7. There is ... place like home.
a) no, b) some, c) any, d) somewhere.
8. The Volga is longer ... the Thames.
a) as, b) so, c) like, d) than.
9. We usually have dinner at home, ... we?
a) have, b) haven't, c) do, d) don't.
10. You ... see the film to know what it is about.
a) can, b) have, c) needn't, d) should.
11. ... a long way to walk and we were tired.
a) It is, b) There is, c) It was, d) There isn't.
12. The news ... very exciting.
a) is, b) are, c) were, d) have been.
13. When I entered the office I ... to give my name.
a) asked, b) asking, c) was asked, d) have been asked.
14. She wanted to know where ... spend her holidays.
a) will she, b) she will, c) would she, d) she would.
15. Ann ... the article since morning.
a) translates, b) is translating, c) has been translating, d) has translated.
16. The weather forecast said the weather ... tomorrow.
a) changes, b) is changing, c) would change, d) will change.
17. ... my things I went out to find a taxi.
a) Packing, b) Packed, c) Being packed, d) Having packed.
18. What ... you ... about all the time?
a) are ... speaking, b) are ... saying» b) are ... telling, c) have ... telling.
19. You haven't read this novel, have you? — ... , I couldn't find the book.
a) Yes, I have, b) Yes, I haven't, c) No, I have, d) No, I haven't.
20. The plane ... to have landed.
a) announced, b) was announced, c) announce, d) announces.
1. Я бы мог ему помочь, если бы он попросил. У меня есть немного времени.
2. Если ты кому-нибудь скажешь об этом, я рассержусь.
3. Говори, пожалуйста, громче, мне ничего не слышно.
4. Что ты делаешь в зимние каникулы?
5. Мы приготовили обед до того, как родители вернулись.
1. The capital of Australia is ... .
a) Melbourne, b) Sidney, c) Canberra, d) Ottawa.
2. Cockney is ... .
a) a bird, b) a dish, c) an accent, d) a town.
3. Aberdeen is in ... .
a) England, b) Scotland, c) Wales, d) Ireland.
4. The safest topic for conversation in England is ... .
a) politics, b) music, c) weather, d) love.
5. John Steinbeck is a famous ... writer.
a) English, b) American, c) Canadian, d) Australian.