Once Mark Twain was invited to the opera. All through the opera his friend's wife was talking to her husband. She talked so much and so loudly that Mark Twain could hardly hear anything. After the performance she said to Mark Twain, "Dear Mark Twain, may I invite you to the opera again next Friday? The opera will be 'Carmen' you are sure to like it." — "Thank you very much," said Mark Twain, "that will be fine. I haven't heard you in 'Carmen' yet."
1. Why couldn't Mark Twain enjoy the opera?
2. Was the lady going to sing in "Carmen"?
All through the opera his friend's wife was talking to her husband.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
Mr Sherlock Holmes (I — sit) one morning at the breakfast table in his room in Baker Street. His friend Dr Watson (2 — stand) near the window (3 — examine) a walking stick which a visitor (4 — leave) the day before. "To Dr Mortimer, from his friend," (5 — write) upon it, the date (6 — be) 1884. Sherlock Holmes suddenly (7— turn) to Watson and (8 — say), "The owner of this stick (9 — have) a dog which (10 — be) larger than a terrier and smaller than a mastiff." Watson (11 – surprise). He (12 – ask), "How you (13 – know)?"
"I (14 — examine) that stick carefully and (15 — notice) the marks of a dog's teeth on it," (16 — answer) Holmes. "They (17 — be) too broad for a terrier and not broad enough for a mastiff. I (18 — suppose) the dog often (19 — carry) the stick behind its master. I (20 — suppose) it (21 — be) a spaniel, in fact it (22 — be) a spaniel."
Holmes (23 — leave) the breakfast table and (24 — stand) near the window as he (25 — say) this. Watson (26 — look) at him in surprise and (27 — ask) how he (28 — can) be so sure of that.
"I (29 — be) sure of it because I (30 — see) the dog at our door and I (31 — hear) the bell which its master (32 — ring). I (33 — wonder) why Dr Mortimer (34 — want) to see Mr Sherlock Holmes. Well, we soon (35 — know). (36 — come) in," he (37 — add). There (38 — be) a knock at the door. The door (39 — open) and Dr Mortimer (40 — appear) in the doorway.
1. Who ... you English at school?
a) taught, b) is taught, c) was taught, d) have taught.
2. When ... you last... to the theatre?
a) did you go, b) have you gone, c) will you go, d) were you going.
3. This money ... not enough to buy the book.
a) is, b) are, c) has, d) have.
4. The newspapers ... .
a) have brought, b) will bring, c) have been brought, d) was brought.
5. ... Tom ... Eric are good players.
a) as... as..., b) and... and..., c) both... and..., d) like... so... .
6. There are ... days in February than in other months.
a) more, b) less, c) few, d) fewer.
7. Martha is ... in English Literature.
a) interest, b) interesting, c) interested, d) interests.
8. I don't know any American songs. — ... .
a) So do I, b) So am I, c) Neither do I, d) Neither am I.
9. Do you know ... man that lives next door?
a) — , b) a, c) an, d) the.
10. They ... to return next Monday.
a) are sure, b) was sure, c) are not sure, d) weren't sure.
11. By the time we got to the party, most of the guests... .
a) left, b) have left, c) will leave, d) had left.
12. What are you going to do after you ... school?
a) finish, b) finished, c) will finish, d) will have finished.
13. The Dnieper is not ... long as the Volga.
a) such, b) so, c) that, d) — .
14. Must I do this work today? — No, you ... .
a) mustn't, b) can't, c) may not, d) needn't.
15. We shall wait until they ... .
a) come, b) don't come, c) will come, d) won't come.
16. ... of them know what it is.
a) Somebody, b) Nobody, c) Some, d) Any.
17. I have ... time, I can wait.
a) little, b) a little, с) few, d) a few.
18. The ... document worried me.
a) lost, b) losing, c) being lost, d) having lost.
19. They put off the party ... next Saturday.
a) on, b) for, c) in, d) at.
20. Who are these people? — ... our foreign guests.
a) It is, b) There is, c) There are, d) They are.
1. Эти сведения очень важные.
2. Куда вы едете на каникулы?
3. Мне придется перевести еще один текст.
4. Мы надеялись, что погода будет хорошая.
5. Как часто он ходит в спортзал?
1. The Romans first invaded Britain in ... .
a) the 5th century AD, b) the 5th century ВС, с) the 1st century ВС, d) the 1st century AD.
2. Guy Fawkes is ... .
a) a national hero of Britain, b) a poet, c) a famous historian, d) the man that wanted to set fire to the House of Parliament.
3. The telephone was invented by ... .
a) Isaac Newton, b) Alexander Bell, c) Michael Faraday, d) James Watt.
4. The midday meal in Britain is called ... .
a) breakfast, b) lunch, c) dinner, d) snack.
5. Which party was Margaret Thatcher the leader of?
a) Labour, b) Social-Democratic, c) Liberal, d) Conservative.
Enrico Caruso, a famous Italian singer, often said, "No one is so well-known as he thinks." He knew it by his own experience. Once he came to the United States to give concerts. One day he was driving to New York and his car broke down. It was near the farm and he asked the farmer to help him repair the car. When the car was repaired, Caruso paid the farmer for his work and gave him his photograph with his name on it. The farmer read the name on the photograph and cried out, "What a luck! I've never dreamed of receiving the greatest traveller Robinson Crusoe in my house!"
1. What did Caruso know by his own experience?
2. Who did the farmer, take Caruso for?
Once he came to the US to give concerts.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
When he (1 — be) twenty-three years old Paul Morel (2 — send) a landscape to the winter picture show at Nottingham Castle. His pictures already (3 — admire) greatly and (4 — talk) much about.
One morning the young postman (5 — come) just as Paul (6 — wash up) in the kitchen. Suddenly Paul (7 — hear) a loud cry that (8 — come) from the front door. He (9 — hurry) to the door and (10 — find) his mother with a letter in her hand that the postman (11 — hand) to her.
Mrs Morel (12 - cry): "Hurrah!"
Paul (13 – surprise) and (14 – shock). "Why, Mother!" he (15 — exclaim). "Hurrah, my boy! I (16 — know) you (17 — get) it!" He (18 — be) afraid for her — that small woman with grey hair who (19 — cry) so excitedly. The postman (20 — come) back, as he (21 — be) afraid something (22 — happen). Mrs Morel (23 — open) the door to him.
"His picture (24 — get) the first prize, Fred!" she (25 — cry).
"And it (26 — buy) by a Major Moreton!"
The young postman, whom they (27 — know) all their life (28 — be) glad he (29 — bring) such an important letter.
"The letter (30 — say) how much the picture (31 — sell) for?"
"It (32 – sell) for 20 guineas!"
Paul (33 — follow) his mother into the room. He (34 — be) sure she (35 — make) some mistake reading the letter and now he (36 — want) to read it. He slowly (37 — read) the letter over unable to believe that it (38 — be) true.
"Mother!" he (39 – exclaim).
"Didn't I say we (40 – do) it, Paul!"
1. When she arrived we ... dinner.
a) have had, b) were having, c) are having, d) will have.
2. He ... school this year.
a) finished, b) was finished, c) has finished, d) is finished.
3. They ... by 5 o'clock.
a) returned, b) had returned, c) have returned, d) has returned.
4. I wonder when we ... their letter.
a) receive, b) have received, c) will receive, d) are receiving.
5. ... you do me a favour?
a) can, b) may, c) should, d) need.
6. He ... spend more time in the open air.
a) has, b) need, c) should, d) ought.
7. Tom works ... at his English.
a) hard, b) hardly, c) well, d) badly.
8. My car ... repairing.
a) must, b) must be, c) needs, d) hasn't.
9. Have you seen the film ... ?
a) already, b) ever, c) yet, d) just.
10. Ann enjoys ... to classical music.
a) to listen, b) listening, c) being listened, d) having listened.
11. What did you...?
a) speak, b) talk, c) say, d) tell.
12. He spent his childhood in ... Scotland.
a) a, b) an, c) the, d) — .
13. John is twice as ... as his sister.
a) old, b) older, c) oldest, d) the oldest.
14. She did ... she had been told.
a) like, b) as, c) how, d) as well as.
15. Her grandmother is ... 70.
a) near, b) nearly, c) close, d) closely.
16. ... snowing at night.
a) It is, b) It was, c) There is, d) There was.
17. I haven't done ... wrong.
a) something, b) anything, c) nothing, d) no.
18. He heard somebody ... .
a) talking, b) talked, c) to talk, d) being talked.
19. Mother ... to return on Sunday.
a) expects, b) expected, c) has expected, d) is expected.
20. He ... two foreign languages in childhood.
a) taught, b) has taught, c) is taught, d) was taught.
1. Она уже закончила школу, да?
2. Интересно, на каких еще иностранных языках он говорит.
3. Мои часы на 5 минут спешат.
4. Это произошло много лет назад.
5. Мы знали, что он сдержит обещание, если ничего нс случится.
1. The Irish Sea is ... .
a) to the west of England, b) to the east of England, c) to the north of England, d) to the south of England.
2. The official language of Canada is ... .
а) English, b) French, c) English and French, d) English and Spanish.
3. The capital of the US is ....
a) New York, b) Washington, c) Boston, d) Philadelphia.
4. On the whole the climate of Great Britain is ... .
a) dry, b) frosty, c) mild, d) tropical.
5. Elisabeth II lives in ... .
a) No 10, Downing Street, b) the Tower of London, c) Buckingham Palace, d) Westminster Palace.