I. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на вопросы.
A certain king was in the habit of writing verses. He thought highly of them. Since he was a king the people to whom he showed them tried to praise them too. Once he showed his verses to a wise man. The wise man didn't like them. It made the king very angry and he put the man into prison. Some time passed and the king decided to set him free. The king invited him to dinner and showed him his new verses. Then he asked the wise man what he thought of them. The wise man turned to the king and said, "Send me back to prison."
1. Was the king wise?
2. Why did the wise man ask to send him back to prison?
The king thought highly of his verses.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
One bright afternoon Major Brown (I — go) out for his usual after-dinner walk. The major (2 — be) a little man, very energetic and strong-looking. Some time before Major Brown (3 — retire) from the army and now (4 — live) on a small pension. He (5 — be) a brave and successful solider but he never (6 — like) being a military man. He (7 — take) a small house in London and (8 — devote) the rest of his life to growing his favourite flowers – pansies in his little garden.
As the major slowly (9 — walk) along a narrow street he suddenly (10 — see) a most pleasant sight. A large, heavy man (11 — push) before him a barrow full of pansies. The major pever (12 — see) such beautiful flowers. He (13 — come) up to the man and (14 — begin) to talk to him. At first he only (15 — want) to buy some of the pansies but finally he (16 — decide) to buy them all.
"I (17 — tell) you something, sir," (18— say) the man and (19 — look) around. "If you (20 — interest) in such things, you just get on to that wall," and the man (21 — point) to the garden wall by which they (22 — stand). "The finest collection of yellow pansies in England (23 — be) in that garden," whispered the man. How it (24 — happen) no one ever (25 — know) but the fact (26 — be) that a second later the major (27 — stand) on the garden wall. At the next moment he (28— forget) everything. In the very centre of the garden he (29 — see) a large bed of the most beautiful yellow pansies. But it (30— be) not the beauty of the pansies that (31 – surprise) him. It (32 — be) something else: the pansies (33 — arrange) in gigantic capital letters which (34 — form) the sentence "Death to Major Brown." An old man (35 — water) them. Brown (36 – look) back at the road behind him. The man with the barrow (37 – disappear). Then he (38 — look) again at the flowerbed that had the terrible words. The evening air (39 – be) so still, the garden (40 — look) so quiet. Suddenly Major Brown (41 — see) the watering can (42 — fall) from the old man's hand.
1. Mother doesn't have much free time. Neither ... .
a) do I, b) do I have, c) I do, d) I am.
2. It has been snowing all day. I wonder when ... .
a) will it stop, b) does it stop, c) it stops, d) it will stop.
3. This is ... useful advice.
a) such, b) such a, c) so, d) so a.
4.1 have two rooms. One is a bedroom, and ... is a sitting room.
a) other, b) the other, c) another, d) others.
5. He ... his hat to welcome us.
a) rose, b) has risen, c) raised, d) is rising.
6. I haven't the slightest idea of what I ... to do in this situation.
a) could, b) ought, c) would, d) should.
7. They let their children ... different pets at home.
a) keeps, b) keeping, c) keep, d) to keep.
8. You have to support your children, ... ?
a) have you, b) haven't you, c) do you, d) don't you.
9. We all... mistakes when we are young.
a) do, b) make, c) did, d) made.
10. Something is wrong with the watch. Can you repair ... ?
a) they, b) it, c) them, d) its.
11. She looks ... today.
a) happily, b) happy, c) nicely, d) beautifully.
12. I'll give the book back as soon as he ... it.
a) will want, b) want, c) wants, d) doesn't want.
13. When the phone rang I... a bath.
a) had, b) was having, c) had been having, d) have been had.
14. Не ... whenever he goes to the theatre.
a) is boring, b) has bored, c) bores, d) is bored.
15. If it ... rain, we'll have the party outside.
a) won't, b) wouldn't, c) doesn't, d) didn't.
16. When I arrived at the party, Tom ... home.
a) had already gone, b) has already gone, c) already went, d) have already gone.
17. Is that the man ... yesterday?
a) you're met, b) met you, c) you met, d) has met you
18. We couldn't find the cat... .
a) any, b) nowhere, c) anywhere, d) everywhere.
19. He won't let anyone ... his records.
a) to touch, b) to have touched, c) touch, d) touching.
20. ... already dark outside.
a) There was, b) It was, c) There had been, d) It had been.
1. Что ты делаешь сегодня вечером?
2. Я опоздала на десять минут.
3. Кто из вас самый старший в семье?
4. Можно мне еще чаю?
5. Мы спросили, сколько времени нам потребуется, чтобы добраться поездом до Ярославля.
1. What is Humpty Dumpty?
a) a toy, b) an egg, c) an animal, d) a bird.
2. Where is the official residence of the Queen?
a) Chatham House, b) Regent Palace, c) Westminster Palace, d) Buckingham Palace.
3. What is Benjamin Britten?
a) an architect, b) a composer, c) a writer, d) a politician
4. What is the emblem of Wales?
a) Rose, b) Leek, c) Thistle, d) Shamrock.
5. What's the name of the Queen's eldest son? a) Charles, b) Philip, c) Andrew, d) Edward.