Exercise 6. Fill in the table:
Bribery, assault, shop-lifting, pick-pocketing, homicide, arson, selling drugs, burglary, larceny, robbery, murder, manslaughter, drunkenness, theft, hijacking, mugging.
Exercise 7. Match the words from the box with the definitions below.
l. they force somebody, especially a woman to have sexual
intercourse against her will;
2. the act of killing a human being;
3. they broke the window of his car and stole the radio;
4. they sold paintings that they knew weren't genuine masterpieces;
5. they illegally carried drugs into another country;
6. they held a pistol at the pilot's head and he had to do what they said;
7. they set fire to the hotel;
8. they took some things off the shelves and left the supermarket
without paying for them;
9. they took away the rich man's son and asked him for a lot of money;
10.they hit the man on head as he was walking along the street and
stole all his money and credit cards;
11.they took her purse out of her handbag as she was standing on the
crowded platform waiting for the train
Exercise 8. What are the crimes described in these situations?
1. An old man has been attacked and robbed in a city street. He is
recovering in hospital.
2. The telephone box had been smashed and there was graffiti all over
3. The young woman was sexually attacked as she walked across the
dark park late at night.
4. It was a perfect copy. It was so good, in fact, that it could even fool
5. George gave the man $50 in return for a small packet of heroin.
6. "If you want to see your child again, put $50,000 in an old suitcase
and wait for further instructions".
7. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and people were sitting
outside the cafe enjoying the sunshine. Then the bomb went off.
WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS TO BE REMEMBERED
Exercise 1. Translate the following expressions into Russian:
To punish offender; to pay fine; to commit a crime; 5 years of imprisonment; death penalty; to remain at liberty; deterrent; the convicted person; to warn victim; to break the law; to go to prison; to behave well; criminal behavior.
Exercise 2. Translate the following expressions into English:
Преступление; наказание; штраф; лишение свободы; приговор; смертная казнь; осужденный; условное наказание; предупреждать; совершать преступление; поведение; жертва; преступник; нарушить закон.
Ехеrcise 3. Match the words from the box with the definitions below:
Exercise 4. Read and translate the text.
What is the purpose of punishment? One is to correct the offender’s moral attitudes and anti-social behaviour. Punishment can also be seen as deterrent because it warns other people of what will happen, if they are going to break the law.
There are some forms of punishment. They are:
Exercise 5. Work in pairs and discuss the following: Which
punishment do you think is appropriate for each of the
Exercise 6. Answer the following questions:
Exercise 7. You are a judge. You must decide how long to send
the accused to prison for. What kinds of
punishment would you choose?
Case 1. The accused is a doctor. He gave an overdose to an 84-year-
old patient who had terminal cancer. The patient had asked
for the overdose. The patient’s family accused the doctor of
Case 2. This man is a well-known leader of a radical organization. He
was recently tried for possessing one marijuana cigarette
and sentenced to ten years in prison. He is appealing the
Case 3. The accused found her husband in their bed with another
woman. She took the breadknife and killed him.
Case 4. The four teenage boys were having a fight with a dog near
swimming pool. They threw it in the water and then stood
on it until it drowned.