МЕТОДИЧЕСКИЕ РЕКОМЕНДАЦИИ ПО ОРГАНИЗАЦИИ САМОСТОЯТЕЛЬНОЙ РАБОТЫ СТУДЕНТОВ 1-2 КУРСА
по дисциплине «Иностранный язык»
Основной целью самостоятельной работы студентов по дисциплине «Иностранный язык» является подготовка к практическим занятиям и экзамену по дисциплине, а также, совершенствование навыков чтения текстов из научно-популярной и специальной литературы. Для самостоятельной работы студентам предлагается план самостоятельных занятий, рассчитанный на 17-22 учебные недели.
В ходе подготовки к практическим занятиям студентам рекомендуется пользоваться литературой, указанной в рабочей программе по дисциплине. При подготовке заданий приветствуется использование любой соответствующей теме литературы на родном и иностранном языках, включая Интернет.
Самостоятельную работу студентов можно разделить на несколько видов. Это подготовка к текущим домашним заданиям, самостоятельное чтение текстов по специальности, защита рефератов о выдающихся представителях своей будущей профессии, разработка и презентация творческих проектов. При работе с иноязычными текстами по специальности рекомендуется вести словарь.
При самостоятельной работе с лексико-грамматическими упражнениями студентам необходимо проанализировать изучаемое грамматическое явление и выполнить упражнения в тетради для самостоятельной работы.
График выполнения заданий
I. Translate the sentences, paying attention to the articles.
Pattern: This is a note-book. It's thick and black.
The note-book is thick and black.
III. Insert articles where necessary.
a) 1. He is ... father already. 2. They are ... orphans. 3. This man is ... distant relative of mine. 4. This woman is ... widow. 5. They are … husband and wife. 6. They are … brother and sister 7. Is your mother at home, Alec? - No, … mother is not at home. 8. Where is your uncle, Peter? - ... uncle is at the factory.9. ... mother is ... employer and ... father is ... doctor. 10. ... aunt, what is the short for ... Richard? - It's … Dick 11. ... Petrovs, our neighbours are very nice people. They are six in ... family: … grandfather, ... grandmother, ... father, … mother, … son and ... daughter. 12. What is your cousin's profession? - My cousin is . surgeon by … profession. 13. Are ... Smirnovs in ... Far East now ? - Yes, they are. They are in ... Khabarovsk.
b) 1. I am going to explain … new rule to you. Please, take ... notes. Look at ... blackboard Here are .examples. 2 What is ... English for "город"? ... English for "город" is "city". If this word is new to you, take ... dictionary, look up this word in ... dictionary and put down ... pronunciation and ... spelling of ... word in your note-books. Write down ... word in ... singular and in … plural. 3. We are studying ... English. It is not easy to learn … foreign language.4." ... Grammar is ... art of speaking, reading, writing … English language correctly.
c) 1. Open ... book at ... page 20, please. 2. ... pupils are doing ... exercise. 3. Will you read ... paragraph 3, please? 4. Will you write... sentence 2, please? 5. They are in ... room 6.
d) 1. I usually have ... breakfast at eight o'clock. 2. I like to have ... hot breakfast in ... rooming. 3. What do you usually have for . breakfasf? I usually have .. eggs, bread, butter and tea for breakfast. It is … very substantial breakfast, isn't it? 4. ... breakfast today is very good. 5. I like to have ... dinner at home. 6. In summer we have ... very simple dinner at home 7. ... dinner is already cold, we must warm it up. 8. I have ... supper with my friend three times … week. 9. It is pleasant to play … chess in... evening after ... good supper. 10. ... dinner is over. 11. ... supper is ready.
a) My watch is right. I set it by ... radio-time signal. Your watch is correct, too. It is telling ... right time. ...of clock in ... living room is not right. It is three minutes slow.
b) Twelve o'clock in ... daytime is ... noon, twelve o'clock at ... night is … midnight. When it is noon in ... Hague, it is ... midnight in the region of ... Chukotsk sea. When it is 4 o'clock in ... afternoon in ... Vladivostok it is 9 o'clock in ... morning in … Moscow. When it is 5 o'clock in ... afternoon in ... London it is ... noon in ... New Jork. When it is ... day in the European part of ... Russia, it is ... night in ... United States of ... America.
c) 1. There are sixty minutes in ... hour. 2. There are sixty seconds in ... minute. 3. You must return this book in ... week. 4. It is ... quarter past eight. 5. You may take my magazines for ... month. 6. Will you give me ... hundred postcards, please?
d) 1. ... Moscow is ... capitai of ...Russia. 2. ... New York is... largest city of ... United States of America. 3. ... Hague is not ... capital of ... Holland. 4. ... Smiths live in ... Centre of London. 5. ... water in ... Black Sea is very warm in summer. 6. I buy ... Morning Star four times ... month. 7. ... Volga flows through ... Tver. 8. ... St. Petersburg University is on ... Neva Embankment. 9. ... Paris is ... capital of ... France. 10. ... French live in ... France. 11. Big Ben is ... biggest clock in ... England. 12. ... English are proud of Big Веn.
We have our English class here. She likes her new dress very much. Paul keeps his books in the book-case. I usually go to see my friends in the evening. They often take their children to this park. Do you help your parents? The film is interesting but I don't remember its title. Mary does her work well. Mr. Wilson is in his office.
1. John gives the book to Henry 2. Tell the students the answer 3. My sister and I have got a room of our own. 4. Alee and Mary are engineers by profession. 5. Jane buy a magazine for Granny. 6. Kate reads this story to Mary and me. 7. Tom has got no nephews or nieces. 8. His wife .is not in Leningrad now. 9. Peter brings Hewers for your mother. 10. Send the letter to your parents.
VII. Fill to the blanks with possessive pronouns.
1.I am a worker. ... name is Ivanov. 2. Ted is a schoolboy ... marks are good 3. Ann and Jane are engineers ... sons arc schoolboys. 4. Mary is very talented ... work is really excellent. 5. We are engineers. … friends are engineers too. 6. "What are ... names ?" - ".-. name is Nick and ... is Jane." 7. Journalists were upset ... time was over. 8. Peter gave me ... book because I lost ... one.
VIII. Insert the missing possessives.
1. Tell me, isn't that ... girl-friend over there? Oh, no, she isn't …. friend, she is ... . 2. Don't take this book. it is not ... book, it is ..… 3. My sister is at home. - And where is your sister? - ... is at the office. 4. Tell him not to forget ... ticket, ask Helen not to forget ... cither. 5. Take ... English magazines and give me ... 6. Look at the cat, ... cat is so thick. 7. Isn't that ... composition? Yes, it is .... 8. Don't come, ... sister is ill. 9. Don't touch ...face. 10. ... answers are good.
Pattern: He is my friend
He is a friend of mine
1. Kate is his distant relative. 2. Her uncle is in the Far East now.
3. Let me introduce my cousin to you. 4. Their great friend is a doctor.
5. Our grandson is a first-year student at the University.
6. Is Helen your niece? 7. It is my habit to get up early.
8. It is his favourite expression. 9. He is our colleague. 10. It is her idea.
I like to cook dinner
Pattern: I'll cook it myself
1. Let him introduce ... . 2. Helen! Do this exercise ... and let Peter and Bob do it ... too. 3. Let's translate these articles ... , they are not difficult at all.
4. Don't go out today. It is very cold. Let Kate buy a present for her friend ...
5. Children, dress ... 1 It's time to go for a walk. The weather is so beautiful.
6. Mother, let me take the books to die library … The library is just round the corner. 7. Go there ... . 8. They know it … . 9. Let me speak with the child.
10. Let her do her homework ... .
Pattern: This book is new and that one is old.
These books are new and those ones are old
1. ... article is easy and … one is difficult. 2. Pass me ... magazines. Thank you. 3. ... boy is fond of music and his dream is to become a pianist.
4. Who is ... little girl at the window? 5. These books are mine and ... are yours. 6. Are ... men over there your friends? 7. ... flowers are beautiful, aren't they? 8. Leave ... two dictionaries on my table and take ... books on the table over there to the library. 9. ... picture is framed and ... one is not. 10. ... roof is red and ... one is green.
III. Fill in the missing relative pronouns.
1. The magazine ... you have lent me is very interesting.
2. The old man … lives next door has gone to Moscow.
3. The garden ... is at the back of our house has a tennis coutt.
4. Can you remember the person ... you have borrowed the newspaper from?
5. The shop ... we buy our cakes at is shut.
6. The girl ... works in the kiosk is my sister.
7. The man ... is sitting at the desk is the secretary.
8. Where is the shop ... sells picture - postcards?
9. Shakespeare, ... is the world's greatest dramatist, was born in 1564.
1. Some children don't like to play.2. Please give me some chalk.
3. Have you got any friends here?4.I haven't got any questions.
5. I don't think we've got any time left.6. Please take any magazine you like.
7. I haven't got any cakes, but I've got some biscuits.
1. Do you learn (some, any) foreign languages? 2. Has your friend got (some, any) English magazines? 3.I didn't get (some, any) letters yesterday. 4. Please take (some, any) German book you like. 5. I don't think we've got (some, any) time today to discuss this question. 6. I don't see ( some, any) mistakes in this sentence. 7. I haven't ( some, any) questions to you. 8. ... students prepare their classes here (some, any).
1. Я прочитал его статью на прошлой неделе. 2. Погода была хорошая и дети попросили отвести их в парк. 3. Мой ребенок очень резвый. А ваш? - Мой тоже.
4. Это задание по химии, а то по математике. 5. Эти книги мы читали, а те нет. 6. Наш отец работает на заводе, а их в институте. 7. Дети сами убрали в квартире. 8. Мы сами не хотим беспокоить его. 9. Я не вижу никаких ошибок в этом предложении. 10. Сейчас слишком поздно что-нибудь сделать. 11. Этот человек никогда ничего не боится.
VII. Do the exercise according to the pattern
a) I'm a doctor (My brother)
Pattern: My brother isn't a doctor.
b) They're schoolboys (Their friends)
Their friends aren't schoolboys
1 Peter is a student (His younger sister)
2 Mother is an engineer. (Father).
3. My uncle is a teacher (His wife)
4 We are siudents.(0ur friends)
5. Paul's sister is a surgeon (His cousin)
6 Mary's mother is a housewife. (Her aunt)
7. My grandfather is an architect. (My uncle)
8 Kitty's sisters arc actresses. (Her mother)
9. We are First-year students (Helen and John)
VIII. Give negative answers
Is your brother a student? (an engineer)
Pattern: - No, he isn't. He is an engineer.
1. Is Mary an actress? (a secretary) 2. Are you an architect (an artist). 3. Are Paul and John schoolboys? (students). 4. Is your father a singer? (a teacher) 5. Is your aunt a librarian? (a nurse). 6 Is your uncle a teacher? (an actor) 7. Are your sisters dancers? (singers)
The children play in a large garden.
Pattern: The children have got a large garden to play.
1 She drinks from a nice little cup. 2 John keeps his book on a big shelf
3. Granny sits m a very comfortable armchair 4. They write letters on beautiful paper 5.I cook meals on a gas range.6. We listen to very good records.
7. He sleeps in a comfortable bed.
Pattern: Have you got any sisters and brothers?
- Yes, I have
Do you often have a meal with them?
- Yes, I do
Do they have any difficulty in reading them?
Do you always have breakfast together?
Do you have a shower every morning?
Does he have time to read them?
Do you often have a walk round it in the evening?
Does he sometimes have trouble with it?
Do the students have a good time there in summer?
Pattern: I study at the University
He/she studies at the University.
1. I pass exams successfully. 2 I study at the University. 3.I do English. 4.I do grammar exercises every day. 5 I speak English well. 6.I understand you. 7.I watch TV every evening.8 I cook well.
a) Pattern: Do you live in Rostov ?
1. Do the students play tennis well? 2. Do the sisters dress so beautifully? 3. Do you often go to the theatre? 4. Do you ask John to dance? 5. Do you leave hospital in a fortnight? 6. Do you discuss this problem today? 7. Do they explain everything to us?
b) Pattern: Does a teacher leach?
Yes, he does.
1. Does a pianist play the piano? 2. Does a painter paint pictures? 3. Does a singer sing songs? 4. Does a driver drive cars? 5. Does a reader read books? 6. Does a butcher sell meat?7. Does a skier ski?
III. Ask alternative questions.
Pattern: I go there on Tuesday.(on Thursday).
Do you go there on Tuesday or on Thursday?
1.I watch the play on TV (at the theatre).
2. Nick leaves for Moscow (for London).
3. She plays the piano (the violin).
4. You prefer coffee (tea).
5. My watch is 5 minutes fast (slow)
6. Your hobby is music (painting).
7. It is warm at noon (cold).
8. You are a first-year student (an undergraduate).