1. as pale as a. ice
2. as old as b. a cucumber
3. as slippery as c. gold
4. as cool as d. a bee
5. as cold as e. a monkey
6. as brave as f. the hills
7. as good as g. two peas
8. as busy as h. an eel
9. as like as i. silver
10.as tricky as j. a lion
11.as bright as k. a ghost
IY. Fill in the blanks with the pronouns:
a. any b. some c. anything d. something e. nobody f. nothing g. none of h.anywhere
Y. Use the constructions there is, there are:
a. is b. are
YI. Use the right form of the verb:
a. come b. comes c. is coming
2. When do you____?
a. gets up b. get up c. got up
3. It does not___ me long to wash and do my morning exercises.
a. take b. took c. takes
4. Does it sometimes____in summer?
a. snow b. snows c. snowing
5. ____he speak German?
a. is b. does c/ do
6. ___it often rain in autumn?
a. is b. does c. do
7. When____first spring flowers appear on the ground?
a. does b. do c. are
8. Charles___just like his father.
a. looks b. is looking c. have looked
9. I____to talk to you now.
a. am wanting b. wants c. want
10. Bill and Sue are very close. They____all their thoughts.
a. don’t share b. share c. are sharing
11. People traditionally____ coloured eggs at Easter.
a. prepare b. are preparing c. prepares
Choose the correct variant.
1. I ________to the USA so far.
a. have not been b. had not been
2. I never ________ them when I lived in London.
a. had met b. have met
3. I came at 2 o’clock. He ______the work by that time.
a. had done b. has done
4. I met her on Monday and ____________ her since.
a. had not seen b. have not seen
5. She said in a voice she never ________ about it before.
a. has heard b. has heard
6. Yes, I know Jim. I_______ him for more than ten years.
a. have known b. had known
7. She tried to concentrate. She _______ John since 1978. No, he could not have done it.
a. has known b. had known
8. He ______ in a bank before he came tp our office.
a. had worked b. has worked
9. We _____ there since we were young.
a. have not been b. had not been.
10. Why ____ the window? It is very noisy in the stree.
a. had you opened b. have you opened
Write the correct form of the infinitive.
1. The doctor wanted the patient ________.
a. to examine b. to be examined c. being examined
2. There are a lot of people who expect your country _______ the same as their
a. not to be b. not being c. not be
3. Did you hear the chairman _____ an announcement?
a. to make b. making c. made
4. When I was waiting in the hall? I sw a girl _____ with a file in her hand.
a. came out b. to come out c. come out
5.Nobody expected the president of the company ________to the party.
a. coming b. to come c. come
6. I saw him ________ round the corner and _________ .
a. turn, disappear b. to turn, to disappear c. turning, disappearing
7. She noticed the children _______ behind the tree but pretended to see nothing.
a. hiding b. to hide c. to be hidden
8. I want this article __________ in November.
a. to publish b. to be published c. publishing
9. He did not expect her _________about it.
a. to be asked b. ask c. asking
10. We did not want his speech ____________.
a. to interrupt b. to be interrupted c. interrupt
Choose the correct variant:
1. Please give me ______ copy of the magazine.
a) other b) another c) the other d) others
2. I see only five boys here. Where are _____ ones?
a) another b) others c) the others d) the other
3. There were seven people on the beach; two of them were bathing, ____ were
a) the others b) another c) others d) other
4. I can give you only a small dictionary, I have got no _________.
a) the other b) another c) other d) the others
5. Two of their guests left rather early, ______ stayed till midnight.
a) the other b) another c) the others d) other
6. Well, kid, ________ fifty yards and you will be at home.
a) another b) other c) the other d) others
7. There have been two oranges on the table. One is here, and where is ________?
a) another b) the other c) others d) other
8. I’m going to stay here for ______ few days.
a) the other b) others c) the others d) another
9. I think you should choose ___________ colour. This one is too dark.
a) other b) another c) the other d) others
10. Why is he so selfish? He never thinks about _______ .
a) other b) the other c) others d) the other
Choose the correct grammar form to translate a predicate:
1. Этот дом был построен в прошлом году.
а) was being built b) hs been built c) was built
2. Сейчас здесь строится новый супермаркет.
а) is being built b) is building c) is built
3. Новое здание института уже построили, когда я поступила на факультет иностранных языков.
а) was built b) has been built c) had been built
4. Студентов экзаменуют два раза в год.
а) are being examined b) is examined c) are examined
5. – Вы были невнимательны, когда объяснялось это правило, - сказал преподаватель.
а) was explained b) had been explained c) was being explained
6. Цветы уже полили.
а) are watered b) have been watered c) were watered
7. Такие столы делают из дорогого дерева.
a) are being made b) have been made c) are made
8. Этот фильм никогда не показывали по телевизору.
a) has never been shown b) was never shown c) are made
9. Мою квартиру отремонтируют к субботе.
а) will be repaired b) will have been repaired c) is being repaired
10. Списки все еще печатаются.
a) are typed b) are being typed c) have been typed
11. Их еще не пригласили.
а) were not invited b) had not been invited c) have not been invited
12. Вам сообщат об этом завтра.
а) will be informed b) will have been informed c) are informed
13. Когда я вошел, обсуждение было прервано.
а) had been interrupted b) was interrupted c) has been interrupted
14. Земля была покрыта снегом.
а) was being covered b) was covered c) had been covered