Г. Е. Выборова, К. С. Махмурян
Тесты по английскому языку для школьных олимпиад
ББК 82.1 Англ
Выборова Г. Е„ Махмурян К. С.
Тесты по английскому языку для школьных олимпиад: Учебное пособие. - 4-е изд. - М.: Флинта: Наука; 2003. - 80 с.
ISBN 5-89349-102-5 (Флинта)
ISBN 5-02-022582-7 (Наука)
Тесты составлены с учетом программы по английскому языку для средних школ и направлены на контроль правил чтения, лингвострановедческих знании, грамматических и лексических навыков. Приведенные ключи позволят проверить правильность выполнения заданий и помогут избежать типичных ошибок.
Для учащихся средних школ, абитуриентов и студентов вузов, а также для всех, кто хочет систематизировать свои знания по английскому языку и подготовиться к более сложным международным тестам типа TOEFL, FCE и т. д.
ISBN 5-89349-102-5 (Флинта)
ISBN 5-02-022582-7 (Наука) © Издательство «Флинта», 1998
A traveller who had been riding in the rain and was wet through, arrived at a small hotel in the country. There was only one fireplace in the hall and a lot of people around it. The traveller thought of a plan how to get warm. He asked the hotel owner to take some fish to his horse. The hotel owner was surprised but the traveller insisted and the hotel owner did as he was asked. All the people rushed out to see the horse eat fish. The traveller had the fireplace all to himself and felt comfortable. When the hotel owner returned he said, "I was sure horses do not eat fish."— "Then why did you take it to my horse?"
1. Why did the hotel owner try to feed the horse with fish?
2. Why did the traveller ask him to do it?
The traveller thought of a plan how to get warm.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
Once John Smith and his wife Mary who (1 — live) in a small house in the mountains, (2 — find) a dog. Though the dog (3 — be) weak and hungry, he (4 — not eat) anything in the presence of his new masters. Several days later the dog (5 — disappear). John and Mary (6 — leave) alone. But one day when Smith (7 — travel) in a train, he (8 — see) his dog running along the road. He (9 — get) off the train at the next station, (10 — buy) a piece of meat, (11 — catch) the dog and (12— bring) him home again. There the dog (13 — tie) up for a week.
The dog (14— escape) several times and each time he (15— run) north. At last the dog (16 — decide) to stay at the cottage but a long time (17 — pass) before Smith and his wife (18 — can) touch him. They (19 - call) him Wolf.
One summer a stranger (20 — come) to the cottage. As soon as the dog (21 — see) him, he (22— rush) to the stranger and (23 — lick) his hands. Then the stranger (24 - say): "His name (25 - be) not Wolf. It (26 - be) Brown. He (27 - be) my dog." Mary (28 - ask) to leave the dog with them. But the stranger (29 — refuse) and (30 — say) that the dog (31 — must) decide it himself. "I (32 — say) goodbye and (33 — go) away. If he (34 — want) to stay, let him stay." For some time Wolf (35 — watch) the man go. Then he (36 — rush) after him and (37 - try) to stop him. Then the dog (38 - run) back to Smith and his wife (39 - try) to drag Smith after the stranger. He (40 – want) to be at the same time with the old and the new master. Finally the dog (41 — lie) down at the feet of Smith. Mary (42 — be) happy.
* Только один вариант является верным.
1.I... glasses since I was a child,
a) wear, b) wore, c) am wearing, d) have been wearing.
2. When the phone rang, I... dinner.
a) cook, b) was cooking, c) had been cooking, d) have been cooking.
3. He usually had dinner at 4 p.m., ... ?
a) had he, b) hadn't he, c) did he, d) didn't he.
4. He works ... and makes good progress.
a) hard, b) hardly, c) good, d) badly.
5. He reminds me ... someone I knew in the army.
a) of, b) to, c) from, d) about.
6. Mary is here. Where are ... ?
a) other, b) others, c) the others, d) another.
7. What ... bad weather we are having today!
a) the, b) a, c) an, d) — .
8. Did you read ... English books at school?
a) some, b) many, c) much, d) none.
9. I want to know what ...,
a) are you doing, b) were you doing, c) will you do, d) you are doing. *•
10. I've made ... mistakes now than I made last time.
a) few, b) a few, c) fewer, d) less.
11. Can ... of you help me?
a) some, b) any, c) somebody, d) anybody.
12. This translation is twice as ....
a) easy, b) easier, c) the easiest, d) much easier.
13. We ... two compositions this month.
a) write, b) wrote, c) were writing, d) have written.
14. I had a feeling that somebody ... there before.
a) is, b) was, c) has been, d) had been.
15. She won't see him ... he phones her.
a) except, b) after, c) unless, d) because.
16. ... only one theatre and two cinemas in this city ten years ago.
a) there is, b) there was, c) there are, d) there were.
17. My watch....
a) stops, b) has stopped, c) have stopped, d) stop.
18. Do you know when he ... ?
a) comes, b) will come, c) shall come, d) come.
19. I don't have any pets. Neither ....
a) she does, b) does she, c) is she, d) does she have.
20. His parents didn't let him ... TV late.
a) to watch, b) watch, c) watching, d) watched.
1. Москва была основана Юрием Долгоруким.
2. Небо темное, может пойти дождь.
3. Мы не знали, что он собирается нас навестить.
4. Кто знает прогноз погоды на завтра?
5. Нам не пришлось долго ждать их.
1. What's the name of the most famous clock in Britain?
a) Big Albert, b) Big Stephen, c) Big Wren, d) Big Ben.
2. What's tartan?
a) a dish, b) a pattern of the kilt, c) a bird, d) a dance.
3. Where is Glasgow situated?
a) in Scotland, b) in Wales, c) in England, d) in Northern Ireland.
4. What's the name of the London underground?
a) Metro, b) Tube, c) Subway, d) Underground,
5. What is the nickname of the Liberal Party?
a) the Tories, b) the Whips, c) the Libs, d) the Whigs.